Time for another potpourri thread?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

robinson46176
Platinum Member

Re: Time for another potpourri thread?

Post by robinson46176 »

reible wrote:Everyone got their 2020 census done?

Ed

Ours went out about the 24th. Very short and simple.
Back about 1980 we were selected for follow up and the census lady as I recall visited us for a year once a month. I knew her slightly and in later years became friends with her husband and at one point bought a business building from him that joined a property we own in the next county east of here.
She worked for the census for several decades and worked for them even in the non census years.
I really felt sorry for her, she was very dedicated but our scramble of constantly changing stuff about drove her nuts. :) She had a briefcase full of forms but our mix never seemed to be a fit for any of them. She struggled to get the right information on the proper forms then when she kind of got it down we would make an operational change and she would have to back up and change her information. She would call and make an appointment and we always tried to allow her plenty of time. Nice lady. She and her husband owned a farm about a quarter mile north of the mini-farm we own in that county and their house sat on a bluff above the river that flows through our place there too. Beautiful site. They are both gone now and so is their house and barn. Besides the fields all that is left is a steel grain bin. He used to have an apple cider pressing operation, not really commercial, he just liked doing it. Did a batch for us one year. I believe the cider operation had been his fathers.
When we mailed the census form it was to reflect who was living here on some particular day in April. I commented to my wife that if one or both of us died from this virus before then (we are both high risk) the information would be wrong and how would they know? :rolleyes:

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

We don't need online grocery shopping here. My little town has had grocery delivery to home for at least the past 50 years, and right now they are busier than ever. You simply put together your order and they bring it to your door. With a $50 minimum order, delivery is free.
For anybody who has problems getting around, this makes it easy.
We plan to do it this way for a while until things settle down so we don't have to get out and meet up with people. We are currently on day 11 of relaxing at home.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

STB wrote:We just discovered on line grocery shopping. Go online order grocery's, set pickup time, call pickup number, they bring grocery order and put them in the car smile say thank you and leave. Amazon will deliver to your door you don't even have to smile and say thank you. How cool is that.
Let me see if I understand all this.

For years now my favorite grocery chain has been steadily pushing customers to check themselves out as a cost(less employees, more equipment) saving policy.

More recently 'online shopping'/'pickup lanes' have appeared(lanes taking up prime parking space location :( ).

So now the chain has had to hire additional staff to not only check out customer's stuff but also to find/pick it off the shelves and to take it out to the customer.

Someone please explain to me the store's economics. :confused:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

JPG wrote:
STB wrote:We just discovered on line grocery shopping. Go online order grocery's, set pickup time, call pickup number, they bring grocery order and put them in the car smile say thank you and leave. Amazon will deliver to your door you don't even have to smile and say thank you. How cool is that.

For years now my favorite grocery chain has been steadily pushing customers to check themselves out as a cost(less employees, more equipment) saving policy.

More recently 'online shopping'/'pickup lanes' have appeared(lanes taking up prime parking space location :( ).

So now the chain has had to hire additional staff to not only check out customer's stuff but also to find/pick it off the shelves and to take it out to the customer.

And I always thought that a big part of the bill paying income for the store came from "impulse sales"... That's why they stack the checkout aisles about 6' high on both sides with all manner of crap.
No impulse sales from home.
The concept weakens the efforts of the display folks.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

[quote="robinson46176"

And I always thought that a big part of the bill paying income for the store came from "impulse sales"... That's why they stack the checkout aisles about 6' high on both sides with all manner of crap.
No impulse sales from home.
The concept weakens the efforts of the display folks.

.[/quote]

And that says little about all those obstacles in the aisles that make passing each other with those humongeous(sp?) shopping buggies impossible because some vendor wanted to push sales of their s...tuff.

Online shoppers will also miss out on that thrill. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:

I can't imagine doing on line shopping. It might be OK for packaged goods like cleaning supplies, canned food, etc. However I don't want some store worker picking out my fresh meat and vegetables or anything like eggs or milk with a short expiration date.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/apple-j ... 31835.html

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id1504132184

Get the app or not but at least they seem to be trying to help the situation.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

reible wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/apple-j ... 31835.html

Ed
Questionable whether it is of any use. There was a saying many years ago about things like this. It isn't fit to print here, but it has something to do with useless things and a boar pig.
You old timers probably know what I'm hinting at.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

garys wrote:
reible wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/apple-j ... 31835.html

Ed
Questionable whether it is of any use. There was a saying many years ago about things like this. It isn't fit to print here, but it has something to do with useless things and a boar pig.
You old timers probably know what I'm hinting at.
I'm not sure about it but, your hints are titillating😁
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Yes, you know.