Time for another potpourri thread?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

db5
Platinum Member

Re: Time for another potpourri thread?

Post by db5 »

[/quote]And I always thought that a big part of the bill paying income for the store came from "impulse sales"... That's why they stack the checkout aisles about 6' high on both sides with all manner of crap.
No impulse sales from home.
The concept weakens the efforts of the display folks.[/quote]

Several years ago I read something in USA Today about why stores, e.g., Sam's, Costco etc. had huge carts. Research showed that the larger the cart the more likely it would be filled. The smaller the cart the more likely it would be filled. Sort of like filling a gas tank on a Denali or a Corolla. Full is full but not comparable. One grocery store nearby has two entrances. At the main entrance there are only large carts (occasionally a small one returned by a shopper). The entrance at the far end has small carts. I asked a manager why there were no small carts at the main entrance. He said, "Because people take them."
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Hint??????????? :rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Hint,
Look at Gene Howe's response.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

garys wrote:Hint,
Look at Gene Howe's response.
You misunderstood my post. I was questioning that it was a hint. Seemed obvious to me! ;) Guess I must be an old timer. :eek:

Helps to have some pig farmer knowledge. :p
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I grew up on a farm. A half mile from our farm lived my Mother's Uncle. He was one of those old timers who grew up during the dust bowl and the depression. That generation learned to be honest (and blunt). They didn't sugar coat anything or try to be politically correct. They just said it like it was. He was the guy who first told me about that old saying.
Yes, having some farm experience with hog raising and growing up around the "depression era" people exposed us to a lifestyle you don't see today.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

We raised lots of pigs. Most young males were a good source of that delicacy we called mountain oysters. Consequently, we had few boars. Just enough for breeding purposes. Those lucky few were in hog heaven.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Wait fer it!

Someone's gonna ask "whatsa boar?"
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JPG wrote:Wait fer it!

I was waiting for you to elaborate on the differences between a boar, a hog and a pig...since you seem to value the nuances of language so much.
:)
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

RFGuy wrote:
JPG wrote:Wait fer it!

I was waiting for you to elaborate on the differences between a boar, a hog and a pig...since you seem to value the nuances of language so much.
:)
Why did you leave shoat off your piggy terms?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JPG wrote: Why did you leave shoat off your piggy terms?
Are you sure you weren't an English Major?
:D
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor