Time for another potpourri thread?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Time for another potpourri thread?

Post by JPG »

RFGuy wrote:
JPG wrote: Why did you leave shoat off your piggy terms?
Are you sure you weren't an English Major?
:D
OMG! :eek:

Ewe sticked thet nive two dep! :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JPG wrote:
RFGuy wrote:
JPG wrote: Why did you leave shoat off your piggy terms?
Are you sure you weren't an English Major?
:D
OMG! :eek:

Ewe sticked thet nive two dep! :D
Sorry...being a fellow EE, I couldn't help myself with that one. My apologies.

I actually favor precision of language, though at times we do tend to split hairs too much on this forum.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Do you ever get use to the smell of the pig farm?

I knew some people who lived down wind of one and despite the quarter mile distance it was pretty bad..... well for my refined taste at least. Much prefer the smell of a nice pork roast cooking in the oven.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

reible wrote:Do you ever get use to the smell of the pig farm?

I knew some people who lived down wind of one and despite the quarter mile distance it was pretty bad..... well for my refined taste at least. Much prefer the smell of a nice pork roast cooking in the oven.

Ed
Better than smelling rotted silage from inside the silo. :D

RFGUY: No apology needed. All in good fun! :D

P.S. I have a very thick skin and ground level opinion of self.(in spite of some differing opinion :cool: )

P.P.S. Continuing in the same vein as above, here in thoroughbred country(allegedly the capital of same) there is a disposal problem that is referred to as muck(you know what mixed in with the straw that makes cleaning the stall easier)(now you know why straw is there to begin with) that has been somewhat alleviated by the storing of that mucky stuff outdoors and allowing bacteria(or whatever) to do it's thing, but that creates heat so it must be turned occasionally to let air get in and cool the pile.(think composting)

Now that is SUPPOSED to de fragrant it, but it only reduces it 'somewhat' but it does kill all pathogens and makes it 'sanitary' so to speak.

Now every spring the local landscapers use the 'product' to serve as mulch and soil richness enhancer.

Fortunately due to CV-19, all the local restaurants are closed to sit down dining so the potential patrons are spared of enjoying that aroma left after the
stuff decomposes on the way into the dining area from the parking lot. :rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Many many years ago one of my uncles decided to start a business of pumping septic tanks. Yes in the rural USA that is the way it is often done. The problem was what to do with the truck load of you know what. At the time the government wasn't so involved with controlling that product........ so he had to creatively dispose of it. Lets just say it got spread around.

He only did that for a couple of years, not the business opportunity it first look like, and well it was a smelly job. So he sold the "Honey Wagon" and ended up being a long haul trucker.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

So how about a little guessing game? Anyone know what this is? Want to guess?
what.jpg
what.jpg (226.02 KiB) Viewed 8986 times
Ed
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

St Patrick's Day ramen noodles. :D

or possibly the fuzzy side of velcro, magnified.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Air filter? No too thin and there is that black stuff and thickness varies.

Long Shot - underside of a foot cushion?

Dull green steel wool? :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Both the Rockler and the Woodcraft stores near me have curb side pickup. I called to make sure the store was open, and it was so I traveled out and got some wood I needed.

Just like I don't want someone picking out my groceries I also don't want them picking out my wood. Still it is nice if you can use the service and or have a reason why it is necessary.

So now one has to wonder if this might stick and be a service that is normally provided just like some grocery stores have been doing??

Ed
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
reible wrote:Do you ever get use to the smell of the pig farm?

Ed
Better than smelling rotted silage from inside the silo. :D

RFGUY: No apology needed. All in good fun! :D

P.S. I have a very thick skin and ground level opinion of self.(in spite of some differing opinion :cool: )

P.P.S. Continuing in the same vein as above, here in thoroughbred country(allegedly the capital of same) there is a disposal problem that is referred to as muck(you know what mixed in with the straw that makes cleaning the stall easier)(now you know why straw is there to begin with) that has been somewhat alleviated by the storing of that mucky stuff outdoors and allowing bacteria(or whatever) to do it's thing, but that creates heat so it must be turned occasionally to let air get in and cool the pile.(think composting)

Now that is SUPPOSED to de fragrant it, but it only reduces it 'somewhat' but it does kill all pathogens and makes it 'sanitary' so to speak.

Now every spring the local landscapers use the 'product' to serve as mulch and soil richness enhancer.

Fortunately due to CV-19, all the local restaurants are closed to sit down dining so the potential patrons are spared of enjoying that aroma left after the
stuff decomposes on the way into the dining area from the parking lot. :rolleyes:
When I was growing up in the 50's in Rhode Island we would go to my Grandmothers house in Allentown, PA. We would drive past Secaucus, NJ. At that time there were cattle yards for days. Even with the windows closed ( no AC then) it smelled terrible.

Fast forward to the 90's. When I was getting ready to retire from the USAF (24 years ) I bought a house here in Hooper, Ut. The way home went west on a 2 lane road and then turned north with a big broad curve. On the inside of the curve there was a small pig farm. It has been gone for about 10 years but that curve in the road is still known as pig corner today. With the windows down you could smell it.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT