lathe flexing

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rpd
Platinum Member

Re: lathe flexing

Post by rpd »

chapmanruss wrote:Going back to something you said in you original post.
I use a 6" face plate and the 4 screws are all tight.
Does this faceplate fit snugly on the Spindle before you tighten the set screw? Are the 4 screws all attaching the wood? I ask because all 6" Faceplates ever made by the companies making the Shopsmith Tool from the Model 10E to the Mark 7 today use sets of 3 screws to hold the wood being turned and have a single set screw as shown on the right for the 6" faceplate in the picture below. There is nothing wrong with using another brand faceplate as long as it fits properly.
I have this one, but I can't remember if it came with one of my Shopsmiths or if I got it from eBay, vintage unknown.
The arbor and the way it fastens to the aluminum face plate part look very like the way the steel sanding disk is made, so I am suspecting is is Shopsmith.
faceplate1.jpg
faceplate1.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 8983 times
faceplate2.jpg
faceplate2.jpg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 8983 times
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

how are the quill bearings ? double bearing or single bearing quill ? any play at all will cause this ? jmo if you have access to a set of micrometers you can check for out of round or a untrue face plate , harborfreight sells a set of mic's for a decent price .they clamp to the miter gauge or the tool rest I had the same issue ,seems the bearing was bad, when I would apply pressure the chuck /face plate would shift .replaced the quill with a double bearing quill and it helped a lot .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

also the wood its self can cause the tool to dig in if you hit a soft spot , razor sharp tools are a must n a lathe jmo I strongly suggest not using it until you figure it out I nearly lost a eye .
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Ron,

The Faceplate you show in the pictures was not made for the Shopsmith tools by any of the companies (Magna's, Yuba, Shopsmith Inc.) that have made Shopsmiths over the years. All of them have been made out of either cast iron or aluminum in a one piece casting with a single set screw.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The faceplate shown looks just like one I got for my brother some years ago but it was not from shopsmith but some other company that I found online. It has been too long so I don't recall the name. BTW it was made very well and he has been very happy with it. It was also cheaper then the shopsmith version, well at least when I was shopping for it.

Ed

rpd wrote:
chapmanruss wrote:Going back to something you said in you original post.
I use a 6" face plate and the 4 screws are all tight.
Does this faceplate fit snugly on the Spindle before you tighten the set screw? Are the 4 screws all attaching the wood? I ask because all 6" Faceplates ever made by the companies making the Shopsmith Tool from the Model 10E to the Mark 7 today use sets of 3 screws to hold the wood being turned and have a single set screw as shown on the right for the 6" faceplate in the picture below. There is nothing wrong with using another brand faceplate as long as it fits properly.
I have this one, but I can't remember if it came with one of my Shopsmiths or if I got it from eBay, vintage unknown.
The arbor and the way it fastens to the aluminum face plate part look very like the way the steel sanding disk is made, so I am suspecting is is Shopsmith.

$matches[2]

faceplate2.jpg
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

reible wrote:The faceplate shown looks just like one I got for my brother some years ago but it was not from shopsmith but some other company that I found online. It has been too long so I don't recall the name. BTW it was made very well and he has been very happy with it. It was also cheaper then the shopsmith version, well at least when I was shopping for it.

Ed

Thank you, that clarifies the matter. :)
Ron Dyck
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Also the slots indicate to me intended use on a metal lathe. I think the bent arm that attached to round stock went through those holes and was called a dog.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mindpilot
Gold Member

Post by mindpilot »

Maybe a worn quill shaft bearing? Worn enough to have a little too much run-out when there is a heavy side-load on the shaft, but not worn enough to be noisy or have visible looseness.

Just the thought that came to my mind after reading through the responses.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Try mounting the faceplate on the shaft on the back side of the headstock and see if it still wobbles , in my case it ran true on the back side .JMO
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

And this just occurred to me. Be sure to lock the quill, when it is not set the quill has a small amount of side to side movement.
Ron Dyck