Getting Your Stimulus Check

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Getting Your Stimulus Check

Post by jsburger »

davebodner wrote:I got a debit card on May 31. I almost threw it out, since it looked like junk.

I thought for sure the IRS had my bank account information, but I guess I've been paying at tax time rather than getting refunds lately.
Wow, a debit card instead of a paper check. I didn't know they did that. Where can you go and redeem that for cash?

As I said in a previous post, the IRS does not keep direct deposit from year to year. They only have the information from the current year. If you filed and owed this year there would be no direct deposit information on your tax return.

That happened to me this year. When I went on the web site to check my status it said they did not have enough information for direct deposit. Huh? I have gotten a refund for years until this year I owed. So I provided the direct deposit information on the web site and it worked.

The other thing is some say I am retired military or I get social security direct deposit. Those are separate data bases from the IRS. At one time when I had a mortgage I had two bank accounts. My military retirement went to one bank and my civil service retirement and social security went to the other bank. How would the IRS know where I wanted my stimulus check to go?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Well, there have been all sorts of "different" results with this stimulus.

I too provided a direct deposit number in response to the "get well" web site. Then I got a notification that my stimulus would be posted to my account on a specific date.
The date came and went with no stimulus. Then one day the "get help" web site informs me that my check will be mailed a May 26. Low and behold, on May 27th we get a check for our stimulus. At least two months in the wait.

As I said earlier, I am just thankful that I did not need that money to pay bills or buy the baby food.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:Well, there have been all sorts of "different" results with this stimulus.

I too provided a direct deposit number in response to the "get well" web site. Then I got a notification that my stimulus would be posted to my account on a specific date.
The date came and went with no stimulus. Then one day the "get help" web site informs me that my check will be mailed a May 26. Low and behold, on May 27th we get a check for our stimulus. At least two months in the wait.

As I said earlier, I am just thankful that I did not need that money to pay bills or buy the baby food.
Me too. But, the stimulus check more than paid for what I owe in Federal income tax this year and almost covers my state income tax. :D :D
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
davebodner
Gold Member

Post by davebodner »

jsburger wrote:...

Wow, a debit card instead of a paper check. I didn't know they did that. Where can you go and redeem that for cash?

There's a way of transferring the money to your bank through normal bank transfer. I suppose it'll work at certain ATMs, too. And, of course, they want you to buy stuff with it.

There's an 800 number and a website. I have to say, once I looked into it (and we satisfied ourselves that it wasn't a hoax), it'll probably work just fine.

If you think you threw away your debit card since you thought it was junk mail, you can call the 800 number and report the card lost.
moggymatt
Platinum Member

Post by moggymatt »

Got my check from the gov'ment, but it wasn't a "stimulus" check, just a return of my legally thefted personal property.
Paul B