Talking horseshoes, as in what the heck???

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Talking horseshoes, as in what the heck???

Post by reible »

I have a small horseshoe collection from a farm where they did a lot of logging and some crops and it was all done with horse power. They are from my wife side of the family and a few generations old. I couldn't see throwing them out and I saved them but I have no idea what I will ever do with them..... let our kids decide to toss them more then likely.

Anyway, in the collection is this:
HS 1.jpg
HS 1.jpg (169.31 KiB) Viewed 5080 times
It looks like it could have been some sort of tool or a shoe that went wrong?? Anyone know?

Then there is this shoe:
HS 2.jpg
HS 2.jpg (198.21 KiB) Viewed 5080 times
Wondering if this was for winter, added studs for grip or just what especially the front bit . Again if someone knows please let me know.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Talking horseshoes, as in what the heck???

Post by jsburger »

If anyone will know I bet Francis will know. Hey Farmer!!!
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I'm afraid that I'm not much of a horseshoe expert. We keep all of ours barefoot. We don't even do a lot of hoof trimming. I do a lot of planning so that they have to walk a lot while grazing so they keep their hooves worn down decent and healthy. Almost all of the client horses here are also barefoot. Some are off season race horses and the owners have their shoes pulled before they come here to run grass for a while.
I have a collection of old rusted horse shoes, maybe 100, that almost all were found here on the farm. There are a few ox shoes in there, they are made in two halves since cattle have split (cloven) hooves.
I've never seen any like the top one but it appears to be a special shoe for a draft horse. Farriers can make all manner of special shoes to compensate for a horse with a problem hoof of leg bones.
The teeth (caulks) on the lower shoe can be thought of as being like tire chains. I don't really like the look of that one, too sharp. It's too easy for one hoof to strike another (or even another horse) and do serious damage.
I love horses but I have long said that a horse is the only animal that could hurt itself playing with a Nerf-ball. :rolleyes: :)
Here is some general information:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoe

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Ed,

This document may be of interest to you. I think the 2nd pic looks like a bar-clip draught shoe possibly dating to around 1880-1930.

https://www.heritagesouthholland.co.uk/ ... eshoes.pdf
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor