New woodworking show on PBS!

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

toolpig
Silver Member

New woodworking show on PBS!

Post by toolpig »

My fellow woodworkers,

I am a TV producer and have created a new woodworking show for public television called Woodworking Together. It’s the first new woodworking show to come to public television in more than 10 years and features the very first woman to host a true woodworking show, Boston-area cabinetmaker Gail O’Rourke.

Our show is geared toward woodworkers of all skill levels, with a special emphasis on beginners.

Woodworking Together will premiere nationwide on PBS stations in January of 2008.
You can view the show’s “trailer” by clicking on the following link…

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 4374&hl=en

We are currently seeking corporate sponsors to help underwrite our first season on-air. If you are interested in helping to sponsor Woodworking Together, please send an email to producerboy@verizon.net.

Also, if you would like your local PBS station to carry this program, please be sure to call them and say that you want them to carry Woodworking Together from American Public Television! Local PBS station information can be found at http://www.pbs.org/stationfinder/index.html.

Happy woodworking!!!
deanthom
Gold Member

Post by deanthom »

Looking at the trailer now...
Dean Thomas
KCMO
520, jointer, bandsaw, stripsander
gsm1cox
Bronze Member

Post by gsm1cox »

The show seems to another Norm clone show.
deanthom
Gold Member

Post by deanthom »

Exactly my impression, too. Spookey close to Norm's format, only she did not wear plaid or a beard.

How are you going to differentiate her from Norm? How do you intend to "brand" her??
Dean Thomas
KCMO
520, jointer, bandsaw, stripsander
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

O.K. show - HAVE A SUGGESTION- Use all safety items like upper saw guard and riving knife unless you explain why they are omitted. Just doesn't look good to have an open saw blade in every picture.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

Way to Norm like, at least change the style of the pieces. I assume this is a short version but very difficult to follow what she is doing and I agree lack of guards for the cuts she was making is just bad practice.
paul heller
Gold Member

Post by paul heller »

I agree: too Norm like. But how to do it without appearing to copy the master?? Certainly your idea of focusing on beginners is a good approach. That concept was not particularly evident in the promotional video you posted. Norm has certainly gone beyond the beginner.

Go back to the basics and skip the high end tools that none of us have. That does not mean hobby tools. We have bandsaws and such. But I doubt many of us have industrial wide belt sanders.

I liked the part in the wood yard. Show us how she selects the wood, which she chooses, and why.

I was glad to see she used a hand held saw on the horses outside to get close and then cut to final dimension in the shop. Norm justs hefts the entire huge sheet up on his table, and I never liked that approach.

Good luck.
ericolson
Gold Member

Post by ericolson »

I figure give 'er a chance!! I like Norm, always will. I like David Marks on DIY. I can't stand the router guys nor do I particularly care for Freeform Furniture. I would like to see a lady take the plunge and do a woodworking show. I'm always interested in learning how someone else does things so, if I like something they do, I can incorporate their methods into my work. The day I can't learn something new is the day all of my machinery goes up for sale!!
Eric
Rock Creek Designs

Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I agree too much like Norm I even noticed some of the verbage was the same.
When she made the plywood box, she said something to effect "Were going to fasten it with some glue and screws no fancy jointery here." Yes it was Gail saying the words but I could hear Norm saying that in my head.

However I do like Gail, met her on a few woodworking forums years ago when she was asking "how to" questions. Even traded E mail with her about her business.

Very nice lady and I hope her show is a huge success. My only recommendation is that she would be herself and not let the script try to turn her into a Norm clone.
Ed
woodburner
Gold Member

Post by woodburner »

GEEEEZE!

Just watched the trailer and talk about copy infringement:( . The person who came up with this show doesn't have much of an imagination:confused: . Using the "New Yankee Workshop" to make money by cloning it. I dont know how the person that came up with this new show can get away with this. The hostess of this show seems to know what she's talking about, but that doesn't make it right. Doesn't she relize she's just duplicating someone else's 20 years of hardwork and sweat, and then just take it as if she owns it and thought it all up herself?
They even stole Norm's trademark quotes "This time on...." and "That will be next time on....". And copying Norm by going to locations to search out projects to make, that's just over-the-top.:mad:
I hope PBS notices the copy infringement and decides not to air this program. I don't know, but maybe Russel Morash, the creator of the NYW has some sort of copyright to prevent this from happening.:)
I'm all for woodworking shows, but they all should be unique and created with something new to add to the already airing shows.
Sawdust & Shavings,
Woodburner:o