Caster upgrade worth it?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

steverboss
Gold Member

Caster upgrade worth it?

Post by steverboss »

I’m very seriously considering getting the 3 inch SS caster upgrade, but I just want some input from those who have done it already. Any issues on installation? Was it worth it?
Attachments
IMG_1578.jpeg
IMG_1578.jpeg (395.94 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Caster upgrade worth it?

Post by chapmanruss »

This is a subject that has been discussed before in other threads.

I have the 3" Caster Upgrade on my Mark 7 and have the 3" Casters for my Mark V but haven't put them on yet. I do like them. I will put the 3" Casters on my Mark V when I get a chance. So many things to do that take priority over that task.

The one problem that I know of is putting the 3" Casters on the older Retractable Caster Assembly. The older set has the foot pedal wheel closer to the Cam and apparently hits the Casters when raising or lowering. I know of one owner that has trimmed the foot pedal wheel to clear the Casters. I have not tried the 3" Castors on an older Retractable Castor Assembly to see how much interference there is.

Below is the early Retractable Caster Assembly.
_
Retractable Casters - Mark 5.jpg
Retractable Casters - Mark 5.jpg (222.75 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
Below is the later/current Retractable Caster Assembly. note the location difference of the foot pedal.

_
Retractable Casters - Mark V.jpg
Retractable Casters - Mark V.jpg (116.91 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
SteveMaryland
Gold Member

Post by SteveMaryland »

I did the upgrade and it was worth it for me. It does require some sheet metal drilling but I do not recall much trouble with it. The big urethane tires are much smoother rolling.

I use my Mark V outdoors, outside the garage, and must wheel it in and out over very irregular surfaces. So for my situation it was worth it. Others here have expressed that unless the SS needs to be moved often, it may not be worth it. Also some reports of tire delamination, but mine have not delaminated.

I later had some trouble with the legs - see this thread: viewtopic.php?p=292231#p292231
I would recommend that if you add the larger casters you also add the allthread stretcher to beef up the legs to avoid the popout problem I had with the caster elevation mechanism.
Mark V, Model 555510, Serial No. 102689, purchased November 1989. Upgraded to 520
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I am happy with mine. They roll easier and also change direction much easier than the standard version. Scott at MyGrowthRings is not a fan, IIUC his main issue is that it is harder to get to the foot control with a tool shelf installed. I don't use the tool shelf, so that is a non-issue to me. The larger wheels roll over small debris, etc. easier than the smaller ones. They do not lift the machine any higher when down. The heavier the machine, the more improvement from what I've experienced. Some people rarely move their machines, so it's not a priority for them. I had a Mark for many years with no casters, didn't know what I was missing.

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I also highly recommend the Shopsmith upgrade casters. For me, in my shop, 3" casters are a minimum and I won't consider any tool/cabinet, etc. that doesn't have at least 3" casters. I have a concrete floor in my garage and expansion joints are a PIA, but 3" casters make it bearable to roll over them. If you have a floor jack that is the absolute best method that I know of for changing them. Don't follow the instructions from Shopsmith of turning the Mark V upside down to change the wheels. I mean if you had any other brand cabinet tablesaw or lathe or etc. would you want to flip that machine over risking alignment issues and/or damage? Then why should I flip my expensive Mark V 520 over??? :confused: With a floor jack it is very easy to do the caster upgrade IMHO and without flipping the machine over. I showed a pic of it at the link below:

viewtopic.php?p=276062#p276062
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

One word YES

Jack