sharpening

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

PAULSCOOTER
Gold Member

sharpening

Post by PAULSCOOTER »

I been watching a lot of videos about wood turning and sharpening chisels. Many of the videos say to make 3 to 5 passes on the wood then sharpen the chisel. Some say sharpen the chisel every 30 to 60 seconds. So you spend about 60 seconds working and 10 seconds sharpening .WOW. I'm very new but i would have guess the tool would stay sharp for the whole bowl or project, I see i am very wrong. My question is, I have the shopsmith chisel guide to sharpen the chisels on the table using the large disk sander. Which means you have to take off your work piece, take off your tool rest, put on the large sanding disk and put on the table and put on the chisel guide. Doing all of this will take at least a couple of minutes and then another 2 minutes to put back on your workpiece and tool rest. Which means for every 30 seconds of using the lathe you spend about 4 minutes or more to sharpen the tools. This doesn't make sense to this new woodworker, why would shopsmith make and sell such a tool to use up about 90% of your time to sharpen the tools. I'm going to do what i see everyone in the videos doing, using a bench grinder to sharpen the tools.

P.S. Do you really have to sharpen the tools that often?
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: sharpening

Post by edma194 »

The disk sander and sharpening guide can be mounted on the left side of the headstock while you leave your piece mounted on the right side.
My Growth Rings video Master Razor-Sharp Lathe & Bench Chisels Using Your Shopsmith Sharpening Guide Part 1 covers usage of the guide and using it on the left side of the headstock. Part 2 of the video has details on mounting the guide on the left side without drilling holes in your extension table.

You can use carbide insert lathe tools that don't require sharpening as often.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
PAULSCOOTER
Gold Member

Post by PAULSCOOTER »

Hi, I feel like i almost know you, lol. I watch many of your videos and find them very helpful and informative. Thank you very much for the videos and replying.

7.0 minutes into the video you said to remove the burr. But then at 11.47 you said you want the burr. Is it only the scraper that you want the burr on? Do I have to remove the burr on the gouges and others?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Scrapers need burr.

Cutting tools need them removed.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

PAULSCOOTER wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:16 am Hi, I feel like i almost know you, lol. I watch many of your videos and find them very helpful and informative. Thank you very much for the videos and replying.

7.0 minutes into the video you said to remove the burr. But then at 11.47 you said you want the burr. Is it only the scraper that you want the burr on? Do I have to remove the burr on the gouges and others?
I think you wanted to ask that in the video comments. Scott comes here occasionally but he'll usually respond to questions left in the video comments.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

He will see it!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange