Power Pro Gen 2 -- now with typos!

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Power Pro Gen 2 -- now with typos!

Post by algale »

For those not on FB there was an interesting post by a Power Pro Gen 2 owner on the Shopsmith Owners Group FB page.

Apparently, a PP Gen 2 owner found a number of menus have typos and other dubious / questionable / confusing uses of English. He included some screen shots. "Select Your Porcedure", for instance for the Strip Sander, "Select Your Bit Material" for the drum sander (with options for hardwood, softwood or plastic), a "High Speed Warning" at only 1500 RPM (not sure what function).

He contacted customer service and they had him return the control console to Shopsmith. Two weeks later he got it back, whereupon he found the software was updated from version 2.1.1 to 2.1.2, but all the same issues remained.

These typos are probably inevitable in software, and are probably more an annoyance than a real problem.

Nevertheless, if you are an owner of a PP Gen 2 and are seeing similar typos of confusing menus, I suggest we should start a list here. Maybe the power (pros) that be will issue a software update at some point.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Power Pro Gen 2 -- now with typos!

Post by DLB »

Interesting. One of the "new" capabilities of Gen2 is "Future Proof Technology - Easy Software Updates..." Given the presence of what looks like a USB port, I presumed this meant field/user upgradeable. (Or maybe I ASSUME'd. ;) ) I caught a reference in another thread to a user returning a Gen 2 for an update, though it wasn't clear what he had to return.

- David
gac5ss
Gold Member

Post by gac5ss »

Problems like this concern me. I remember one post a while back suggesting a better warranty for the PP headstock which included free service and a replacement swap out for a longer time frame. In other words the fear factor of a lemon would be removed for the buyer. I have considered the PP headstock, even finding some good buys on eBay and FB Marketplace. But I don't have a great amount of confidence that any problem can be fixed without the cost being greater than the used price I paid. My goodness, a new Gen2 PP costs more than most cabinet saws. To tell you the truth, as a frequent buyer and seller of used Shopsmiths, if I had it to do over, I might just spring for the $5K new unit with the Gen2 headstock. My assumption being that SS service on a completely new unit would be far greater than upgrades. I'm probably wrong with this assumption.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

gac5ss wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:00 am Problems like this concern me. I remember one post a while back suggesting a better warranty for the PP headstock which included free service and a replacement swap out for a longer time frame. In other words the fear factor of a lemon would be removed for the buyer. I have considered the PP headstock, even finding some good buys on eBay and FB Marketplace. But I don't have a great amount of confidence that any problem can be fixed without the cost being greater than the used price I paid. My goodness, a new Gen2 PP costs more than most cabinet saws. To tell you the truth, as a frequent buyer and seller of used Shopsmiths, if I had it to do over, I might just spring for the $5K new unit with the Gen2 headstock. My assumption being that SS service on a completely new unit would be far greater than upgrades. I'm probably wrong with this assumption.
Not sure what you mean by "SS service on a completely new unit would be far greater than upgrades." If you mean that the value of SS warranty service on a completely new Mark 7 with Gen2 PP unit would be greater than the cost of the upgrades alone, I don't follow because I would think the upgrades would be covered by the same warranty. And of course even if the SS service on a new unit has a value greater than the cost of the upgrades, that still depends on SS being around.

And that continues to be the biggest thing holding me back from buying a power pro, Gen1 or Gen2. I wish the company nothing but well but It seems like the company has been on life support for a while and my concern is how long the Gen1/Gen2 PP electronics will survive vs. the long term prospects of the company. Will the company be around to source/service the Gen1/Gen2 PP specific parts. This would apply not only to things like control boards or whatever electronics are inside the headstock, but also to any mechanical headstock parts inside the Gen1/Gen2 that can't be swapped with the older Mark V 500, 510, 520 headstock parts (if any), as well as the Gen2 touch screen and the older older Gen1 screen (although I suspect that anyone wanting a replacement for the Gen1 will probably just go for the Gen2 if it is available).

I remain confident that there are enough lightly used 500, 510 and 520 headstocks and SPTs out there that even if Shopsmith went out of business tomorrow, I could get all the parts I needed for my 520 and all of the SPTs via the used market for as long as I am able to make sawdust.

As for the original premise of my post about the typos, nobody has identified any others, so maybe it isn't a big deal?
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

To put this into perspective...a Gen 2 PP costs twice as much as ANY new smartphone. Imagine buying a new iPhone, let's say, and it had lots of typos or menus that don't work right. Then the only way to fix it, is to box it up and ship it back to China where it was manufactured, wait for the repair (loading new firmware which is just software), have not use of said product during repair period and receive it back finally after an extended period. Would anyone here on this forum accept a smartphone in this condition? I am surprised given the looong time between Gen 1 PP release and Gen 2 PP release that it could get released with such simple to fix mistakes. I do believe Shopsmith can do better, not just with initial product release, but also with an easier solution for those who have already purchased a Gen 2 PP with these issues. ANY initial excitement that I perhaps had at some point for the new and improved PP that made me consider purchasing one have now evaporated.

AM I being too negative here considering this is the state of product release and the proposed solution for fixing it from Shopsmith???
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

RFGuy wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:55 am AM I being too negative here considering this is the state of product release and the proposed solution for fixing it from Shopsmith???
No, not too negative. One of the highlighted benefits of switching to PP2 was "Easy Software Updates." Returning some or all of a 'smart motor' to the OEM doesn't qualify. Perhaps the software update capability is part of some future software update...

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Promises, promises...
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
okiejim
Silver Member

Post by okiejim »

This seems rather disappointing. I've had my Gen1 for several years and been very satisfied the upgraded functions it has provided. Gen2 updateable software was my interest in Gen2. I guess I have to wait now. My Gen1 failed within its warranty and had to replace the power supply and display. Took several weeks for the repair. I have since built a fall back manual headstock now for backup.