Stop Collars - the accessory I should have bought years ago

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Stop Collars - the accessory I should have bought years ago

Post by DLB »

algale wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:59 pm My recent purchase come with the set screws. I believe this is probably just an unfortunate oversight on their part. Agree with dusty -- call customer service.
Did you order the same PN as Steve? I noticed there is a 501438 Stop Collar Assembly ($8.95) on line in addition to the the 501439 that Steve ordered. The manual does show 501439, part of the Tailstock, (are we still calling it that? ;) ) as a collar without the setscrew. But it identifies 501438 as something else: the tailstock casting and tubes. (Which would almost certainly cost more.)

- David
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

DLB wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:11 pm
algale wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:59 pm My recent purchase come with the set screws. I believe this is probably just an unfortunate oversight on their part. Agree with dusty -- call customer service.
Did you order the same PN as Steve? I noticed there is a 501438 Stop Collar Assembly ($8.95) on line in addition to the the 501439 that Steve ordered. The manual does show 501439, part of the Tailstock, (are we still calling it that? ;) ) as a collar without the setscrew. But it identifies 501438 as something else: the tailstock casting and tubes. (Which would almost certainly cost more.)

- David
David you are right on point. I ordered 501438 "Collar assembly". :o
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

iF you decide to obtain the set screws from local hardware sellers, do try to find flat or round 'point' ones.

If not, grind them flat.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
SteveMaryland
Gold Member

Post by SteveMaryland »

So $8.95 vs $4.95. Difference is one setscrew... Ouchie. Sorry Mr. Gale !

So I actually really made out, and should quit complaining, 'cause I sure won't be spending $4.00 for one setscrew !

Happily off to the bigbox I go...
Mark V, Model 555510, Serial No. 102689, purchased November 1989. Upgraded to 520
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

SteveMaryland wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:56 pm So $8.95 vs $4.95. Difference is one setscrew... Ouchie. Sorry Mr. Gale !

So I actually really made out, and should quit complaining, 'cause I sure won't be spending $4.00 for one setscrew !

Happily off to the bigbox I go...
It's probably all the extra shipping costs for the set screws. :D
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

Matanuska
Gold Member

Post by Matanuska »

algale wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:32 pm I put one stop collar on each leg of the main table and one on each leg of my extension table of my 520. It may be overkill to have a stop collar on each leg, but that's what I did.

With the stop collars now installed and adjusted it's just drop the main table in, drop the extension table in, tighten the clamps and everything is dead on. No fuss, no muss.
I like the idea - do you pick a compromise table saw blade height that works for various wood thicknesses? What have you found works best for you? How do you set up for horizontal boring? Have you found a quick way to get things reset for table saw operations?
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 PowerPro. Shopsmith cast iron table bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, and 60's vintage 610 jigsaw SPT's. Makita 2040 15" planer, JessEm Mast-R-Lift II router table.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Matanuska wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:00 pm
algale wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:32 pm I put one stop collar on each leg of the main table and one on each leg of my extension table of my 520. It may be overkill to have a stop collar on each leg, but that's what I did.

With the stop collars now installed and adjusted it's just drop the main table in, drop the extension table in, tighten the clamps and everything is dead on. No fuss, no muss.
I like the idea - do you pick a compromise table saw blade height that works for various wood thicknesses? What have you found works best for you? How do you set up for horizontal boring? Have you found a quick way to get things reset for table saw operations?
Still working on it. Picked a compromise saw height but then of course i had to do a bunch of operations for horizontal boring.

admin
Gold Member

Post by admin »

Please contact Customer Service on Monday. 501439 (stop collar without the set screw) should not have been on the website and has now been removed. It appears we missed that when setting up the new website.

To those that noticed, yes items not intended to be available may have strange pricing since we don't update those.

Admin
SteveMaryland wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:38 am I understand why we would want to use stop collars in pairs - to prevent cocking of the table due to slop - of which a Shopsmith has plenty.

So I also recently bought a few extra stop collars (PN 501439) from Shopsmith. They arrived yesterday. To my chagrin, these collars are missing setscrews.

How do you like that, selling a setscrew collar without the setscrew! I guess I "forgot" to buy the setscrews from Shopsmith also, shame on me...

Yes, I now see that the setscrew itself (item 292, PN 222458) is listed separately, but sheesh...

The thread is 5/16-18. Another trip to the bigbox.
Shopsmith I.T.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

So it appears internally to SS certain part # are not intended to be sold separately, but exist solely to identify parts of an assembly. Makes sense to me. Those I assume are listed as N/A in the parts list.

However it does not make sense to be able to inadvertently order one of those parts and actually receive them.

Finally if a part # can be removed from the web site, why cannot 'items not intended to be available' be removed as well rather than have ludicrous prices?

I have to wonder what CS would do IF one attempted to purchase a sub assembly part # by phone. Is CS also using the web site????

If so, interesting that a website is the control mechanism for parts availability.(especially with all the confusion regarding the web site being redefined)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

admin wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:15 am Please contact Customer Service on Monday. 501439 (stop collar without the set screw) should not have been on the website and has now been removed. It appears we missed that when setting up the new website.

To those that noticed, yes items not intended to be available may have strange pricing since we don't update those.

Admin
I think SS needs to take a harder look at this. 501439 (Ref No. 291) is in the manual as a tube collar with no setscrew. 501438, confirmed by Alan earlier as a collar with setscrew, is in the manual as item 290, "Tailstock & Tube Asm." In other words a Tailstock (if we're still using that word ;) ) without stop collars. I didn't see any way to 'find' a stop collar on the web site except by searching that text. In other words the PL and Exploded View, as it pertains to the Tailstock, isn't on the web site but it is in the manual. (I think I should find it under service parts.)

The only thing that I see here that is consistent with the manual is that I should be able to order Item 291, PH 501439, as a collar without setscrew. Taking it off the web site would leave one (that was using the manual) thinking it can only be ordered from SS as part of a complete tailstock. Thence to eBay, where new stop collars are sold by competitors. Or somewhere else where less expensive versions that don't support the 5/32" hex key are more prevalent.

- David