Updated Sliding Table

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

Updated Sliding Table

Post by DLB »

In a recent sale ad it appears that Shopsmith has added a 510 (also 500 and bandsaw) rip fence extrusion to the Sliding Table's fence:

Crosscut-Sliding-Table.jpg
Crosscut-Sliding-Table.jpg (34.49 KiB) Viewed 1204 times

Based on the part I circled, it appears to me that the extrusion is simply screwed or bolted to the front of the aluminum angle that used to be the fence.(?) I kind of like it, it allows for the use of stops, as shown, and other track-mounted accessories.

Dear Shopsmith: Do you sell a fence upgrade for existing sliding tables? I couldn't locate one on the web site.

I use/prefer a sacrificial extension, but seeing this it occurs to me to make a WoodAnchor(TM) version sacrificial extension.

Also note the zero(-ish) clearance slot in the Auxiliary Table. Mine isn't like that, nor is it as big as the one shown.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Updated Sliding Table

Post by JPG »

Dear Shopsmith: Do you sell a fence upgrade for existing sliding tables? I couldn't locate one on the web site.

I hope you sent that to CS as well.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A couple of observations/concerns re this new version and the sale ad.

The ad pix includes the aux table in a new version.

The description pix does not.

The description pix for the aux table is not the newer version shown in the ad.
ScreenHunter_129 Feb. 19 13.32.jpg
ScreenHunter_129 Feb. 19 13.32.jpg (225.92 KiB) Viewed 1218 times
I observed some positive things re customer needed info re returns.cancelations.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Taking a harder look at the improved version(s), perhaps this is a customer improved variant.(?) Main table appears to be the older fully ribbed version, saw blade is an older version (I think), no guards, and lighting variation in the photo is more consistent with a garage shop than other SS photos. If true, that would explain why the upgrades are not separately listed as such. This theory kind of rung a bell, the auxiliary table in question is remarkably similar to Dusty's modified one in this thread: viewtopic.php?p=270509#p270509

- David
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

DLB wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:06 pm Taking a harder look at the improved version(s), perhaps this is a customer improved variant.(?) Main table appears to be the older fully ribbed version, saw blade is an older version (I think), no guards, and lighting variation in the photo is more consistent with a garage shop than other SS photos. If true, that would explain why the upgrades are not separately listed as such. This theory kind of rung a bell, the auxiliary table in question is remarkably similar to Dusty's modified one in this thread: viewtopic.php?p=270509#p270509

- David
Not disagreeing with you, but they regularly use my table setup with 2 fixed and 4 floating tables in table saw mode and always credit me in the ad. This is kind of different, alluding to this is the set up as they sell it. Then they show two different versions. In the picture of my set up they never imply that it is an as sold Mk V but what it is ultimately capable of.

For the record, that picture of my set up was not provided to them by me. It is out there on this forum. I also sent it to Rick Davis many years ago so I suspect that is how they got it.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Taking a harder look at the improved version(s), perhaps this is a customer improved variant.(?) Main table appears to be the older fully ribbed version, saw blade is an older version (I think), no guards, and lighting variation in the photo is more consistent with a garage shop than other SS photos. If true, that would explain why the upgrades are not separately listed as such. This theory kind of rung a bell, the auxiliary table in question is remarkably similar to Dusty's modified one in this thread: viewtopic.php?p=270509#p270509

- David
[/quote]

The Auxiliary Table shown in these images has been modified (by me about twelve years ago). The original table, when new, was not ZCI. I put the saw kerf there thus an explanation for one set of the pre-drilled holes. That leaves the reason for two sets of the pre-drilled still unexplained.

Here is another shot of my modified table from an angle that shows the 510 fence extrusion bolted to the table fence. The pictures that I have were taken on 10/16/2009.

Used in Sales Ad
Used in Sales Ad
PA160025.JPG (207.63 KiB) Viewed 986 times
PA160027.JPG
PA160027.JPG (199.22 KiB) Viewed 986 times
PA160028.JPG
PA160028.JPG (221.58 KiB) Viewed 985 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

For those who may have missed it in the other thread "Shopsmith Crosscut Sled" here is the Q and A Scott Markwood posted. Hopefully this clears things up. It appears they used Dusty's pictures. Someone oops :o

_
IMG_4799.jpeg
IMG_4799.jpeg (173.21 KiB) Viewed 874 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Maybe this will get some consideration for the 'upgrade' to become 'real'!.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

PA170003.JPG
PA170003.JPG (241.95 KiB) Viewed 793 times
PA170002.JPG
PA170002.JPG (240.57 KiB) Viewed 793 times
JPG wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:12 pm Maybe this will get some consideration for the 'upgrade' to become 'real'!.
I doubt that. For the upgrade to be real the fence extrusion would have to be extended by the length of the short extrusion used with it in my images. New manufacturing costs kills the proposal.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I am sure the extrusion is manufactured in lengths cut for transport and then cut to fence length. SS could easily cut them to the longer length required.

OK so the holes and screws require a bit of $$ but IMO an improvement results(aka upgrade).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝