Dragged out a shopsmith

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chiroindixon
Gold Member

Re: Dragged out a shopsmith

Post by chiroindixon »

When I ran out of Johnsons, I got the Minwax. Whew... it was a really hard wax to apply.
But, on a hunch and a tip from another on YT, I mixed some with linseed oil.
Perfect... applied well, buffed off easily...and made ALL my jigs, and SS accessories glide.
YMMV..

Doc
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

RonKlein,

Good point about Floor Wax. It was apparently not the case when the early Mark 5 Manuals were written but I will revise my Model 10E/10ER Owner's Guide addendum. Thank you for pointing that out for any other readers of this thread looking for guidance on what wax to use.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

chiroindixon wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:01 am When I ran out of Johnsons, I got the Minwax. Whew... it was a really hard wax to apply.
But, on a hunch and a tip from another on YT, I mixed some with linseed oil.
Perfect... applied well, buffed off easily...and made ALL my jigs, and SS accessories glide.
YMMV..

Doc
Mineral spirits would work better(BLO does not evaporate). Better to simply warm it up a little.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange