OLDER SHOPSMITH

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

STEVE
Bronze Member

OLDER SHOPSMITH

Post by STEVE »

I have an older Shopsmith. Several years ago I contacted Shopsmith & was told that my model # was a DR35. I have never been able to confirm this. It has been very difficult to order parts & accessories. Does anyone know how I can obtain an accurate model number. Or, if DR35 is even a valid model number. I absolutely love it & could never part with it. It looks and runs like new.
STEVE
Bronze Member

Re: OLDER SHOPSMITH

Post by STEVE »

I am looking for a live center tail stock & a chuck for this model. I’m pretty sure that I will need to change out the current tail stock but don’t know for sure. If anyone has any information or can direct me to a source, it would be most appreciated.
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

I'm somewhat new to Shopsmiths myself but I'm unaware of a DR35 model. Could it perhaps be 10ER? If you post a picture we should be able to identify it immediately
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Welcome STEVE. There is no model DR35 Shopsmith. As HopefulSSer said we really need a picture to know what you have so we can help.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
STEVE
Bronze Member

Post by STEVE »

I really didn’t think there was a model with number since I had such a hard time getting any info. I will get a pic and send if I can figure out how. I have never been on any type of forum before nor have I sent a pic anywhere. (maybe my grandkids can help) Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate the help. I'm getting ready to retire & plan on doing a lot of wood working.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

STEVE,

Until you can get a picture of the Shopsmith you have to show us, below is a Model 10ER from late 1951 or early 1952 to compare. The Model 10E was introduced in November 1947 and replaced by the 10ER which continued through 1953.

_
R64000.jpg
R64000.jpg (91.51 KiB) Viewed 657 times
Below is a Mark V from 1982. The Mark 5 was introduced in March 1954 and at that time was painted green and silver. In the 1960 it changed to goldish and copper followed by gray as they still are today. There are different versions of the Table/Fence system that make up the different models. The one below is the original Table/Fence System that became the Mark V 500.

_
1982 Mark V.jpg
1982 Mark V.jpg (131.04 KiB) Viewed 657 times
Like the others I don't know of a Model DR35 and the only thing I can think of close to that would be the Model A-34 Jig Saw made for the Model 10's shown below. That's only because the numbers are close.

_
Model A-34 Jig Saw.jpg
Model A-34 Jig Saw.jpg (94.07 KiB) Viewed 657 times
As for posting a picture the hardest part is getting the picture file small enough to be able to post. Most digital cameras including phone cameras in use today take larger pixel size pictures than the Forum allows. I resize mine in the program Paint to lower the pixel size to be able to post. I use 1000 pixels for the larger number by whatever the smaller number comes up as. This still provides pretty clear pictures as seen above.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
STEVE
Bronze Member

Post by STEVE »

WOW, THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES & HELP. I STILL HAVENT FIGURED OUT HOW TO POST A PHOTO BUT THE FIRST PIC ABOVE LOOKS VERY MUCH LIKE THE ONE I HAVE. ITS MOUNTED ON A WOODEN BASE JUST LIKE THE ONE IN THE FIRST PIC. SO THINKING THAT ITS A MODEL 10ER, ARE ACCESSORIES STILL AVAILABLE FOR THUIS MODEL?
STEVE
Bronze Member

Post by STEVE »

ALSO, IS THE TAILSTOCK FOR THE MODEL 10ER MORSE TAPER? IF SO DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT SIZE TAPER. IF NOT IS THERE A LIVE CENTER TAILTOCK AVAILABLE FOR THIS MODEL?
STEVE
Bronze Member

Post by STEVE »

I KEEP THINKING OF QUESTIONS, SORRY, THE BIGGEST LIMITATION I FIND WITH THIS PIECE OF EQUIPMENT IS THE SMALL TABLE SIZE. IS THERE A TABLE ACCESSORY TO INCREASE THE TABLE DIMENSIONS? I BELIEVE I CAN MAKE SOMETHING MYSELF BUT IF THERE IS SOMETHING ALREADY DESIGNED & AVAILABLE I WOULD PROBABLY GO THAT ROUTE,
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

STEVE wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:21 am ALSO, IS THE TAILSTOCK FOR THE MODEL 10ER MORSE TAPER? IF SO DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT SIZE TAPER. IF NOT IS THERE A LIVE CENTER TAILTOCK AVAILABLE FOR THIS MODEL?
The tail stock is a #2 Morse taper. SS sells a live center and they show up on eBay all the time.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT