Help identifying parts

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tprowood
Gold Member

Help identifying parts

Post by tprowood »

Hi, SS newbie here. Picked up a SS, I think it’s a 1979 Mark V S# is SS 41594. It has some items I don’t recognize at all. Can anyone help identify them?
Attachments
C4B4D58D-E917-4812-8FFF-4A5EDADDEA8B.jpeg
C4B4D58D-E917-4812-8FFF-4A5EDADDEA8B.jpeg (516.12 KiB) Viewed 915 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Help identifying parts

Post by JPG »

Nope! Somebody else made then.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Cool looking parts. No idea what they are.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

tprowood.

Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum. Serial number SS 41594 is indeed from 1979 and August to be more precise.

I have found it is common to get non-Shopsmith parts when buying a used Shopsmith tool. I cannot identify the parts in question other than they are sitting on a Mark 5 Main Table but they do look intriguing. I wonder what they are used for.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
tprowood
Gold Member

Post by tprowood »

Thanks for the replies. They, parts pictured, area quite heavy duty. Can anyone help me hone in on the model type, SS 41594, is? Is it a Mark V 500? I need to do a few repairs, and need to get the right ones. Thanks.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Definitely a Mark V 500. Often just called a 500. Almost all parts aside from the table systems are compatible across the line of Mark 500,505,520, and Mark 4 machines. Except for the conventional headstock instead of the PowerPro compatible with the Mark 7 as well. New parts are available from Shopsmith and many used parts can be found on eBay. Many bearings, screws, roll pins, etc. are standard sizes with many sources.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
tprowood
Gold Member

Post by tprowood »

Thank you Ed!
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

My "pixel ruler" suggests that the round protrusions on what looks like the long heavy piece might fit into the Mark V miter slot. Can you check that and, if it fits, post a pic of the other side of that piece? It might shed some light on the other pieces.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

tprowood,

At the time your Shopsmith was made there was only one model the Mark 5. Notice I called it a Mark 5 and not Mark V which changed in 1980 to using the Roman numeral instead of the number. The Shopsmith tool itself didn't change at that time.

When Shopsmith Inc. (the company) introduced the larger Table system in 1985, it was the Mark V model 510 and included floating tables. The Mark V 505 was the same as the Mark V 510 without the floating tables. The Mark V’s with original table system became the model 500. Mark 5/V's made prior to the induction of the Mark V 510/505 are commonly referred to as 500's also. It is important to know that it is the Table/Fence/Carriage system that makes the difference between the 500, 505, 510 and 520 Mark V's. There are a few other differences between these models too. The 500 uses different Upper & Lower Saw Blade Guards (several variations), a different Lathe Tool Rest (shorter arm & different post) and Arbors (shorter) than the other Mark V models use. There are some differences in accessories too. For example, the Shaper Fence is different for the 500 than the one for the 505, 510, 520, Mark 7 & 4. The Mark VII from the 1960's has its own version of the Shaper Fence. The current Mark V 520s is different than the earlier Mark V 520 since it, along with the Mark 4 & 7, have the double tilt bench ends and the Main Table posts have the raising/lowering teeth on both sides. Features that came out with the Mark 7.

Since your Shopsmith is a Mark 5 with the original table system it is important to look carefully when buying any used parts. Some sellers have no clue that a table part may be for a Model 500 (original) or belong to one of the other Mark V models and you can see parts mis-listed often. Shopsmith has discontinued the original 500 table system and has few if any parts for it. As has already been said you can buy new replacement parts from Shopsmith for the Headstock. Bench parts from Shopsmith will no longer have the original Base & Arm and Headrest & Tie Bar once stock runs out but instead will have the Double Tilt ends. Plenty of these are available on the used market partly from people who have upgraded their Mark V to the Double Tilt Bench Ends. Do note that originally the Mark 5 (all Greenie's) had larger Bench Tubes and therefore the Bench Ends are different than later Mark 5/V's like yours. This is why it is important to know the age of not only your Mark 5 but the parts you are buying. Sometimes it makes a difference.

Here is some good news for you. All upgrades made over the years for the Mark 5/V can be added to older Mark 5/V's. Even the changes to the Mark V to make the Mark 7 can be added. I have an upgraded Mark V that is now a Mark 7 with a Power Pro Headstock and Double Tilt ends.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
tprowood
Gold Member

Post by tprowood »

chapmanruss rocks. I’m saving that for future reference.