Double tilt upgrade

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Double tilt upgrade

Post by chapmanruss »

Hami5297,

As you can see JPG was referring to changing just the Bench Tubes from the original 1-7/8" diameter to the 1-3/4" diameter tubes but still using the original Bench Ends (Base/Arm and Headrest ends). Since you are changing to the Double Tilt Bench Ends, which cannot use the old 1-7/8" Bench Tubes and the reason for changing Bench Tubes your biggest challenge with be the Table posts.

With so many changes to the Mark 5/V over the years it is easy to get one thing stuck in your head when trying to help. I know I have done it too. :o
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:15 pm The shims are placed against the SIDES of the tubes. The tube clamp exerts outward pressure to the tubes. The final position is determined by a small boss extending out from the outer interior surface of the end casting. The shims essentially make that boss longer. The shims are necessary since his greenie end castings have a boss 1/16" shorter than current production. The end result is the same c-c spacing. Key word there is CENTER.
OK got it. I was thinking length not side shims. He is going to double tilt(new end castings) so no shims just new bench tubes.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jsburger wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:38 pm
JPG wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:15 pm The shims are placed against the SIDES of the tubes. The tube clamp exerts outward pressure to the tubes. The final position is determined by a small boss extending out from the outer interior surface of the end casting. The shims essentially make that boss longer. The shims are necessary since his greenie end castings have a boss 1/16" shorter than current production. The end result is the same c-c spacing. Key word there is CENTER.
OK got it. I was thinking length not side shims. He is going to double tilt(new end castings) so no shims just new bench tubes.
c-c was the clue
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.