What's your favorite accessory?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

ericolson wrote:#1-bandsaw, hands down.

#2-SS outfeed table. No more feed roller hassles.

#3-router chucks. Great for horizontal mortising applications.
I agree, wholeheartedly! Especially with the bandsaw. My first project with the SS was a couch table with Queen Ann legs. This versatility is always there with the bandsaw it just needs a little creativity (which is not always available in my shop). Not only do the 5/8" blades produce very smooth re-saws but I think the 1/16" blades offer a lot of possibilities. Just snug in the cool blocks and let the 1/16" blade cut a groove in them and there is a real maneuverable saw. I also like snugging cool blocks into the sides of the 5/8" blade and letting her rip. (and re-saw)

Router chucks- why didn't I think of using them for mortising? Well - thats why we have these posts!! Thanks!

I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned the speed reducer. Does anyone use one? I've been tempted a couple of times but haven't bought yet.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
manvelar
Gold Member

Post by manvelar »

I have to admit, the sliding crosscut table looks nice. I don't own one yet because I've built several similar special jigs that allow me to work to a 1/100th of an inch accuracy and extremely repeatable crosscuts on small parts for puzzles. I'm fortunate to live in Dayton OH (where Shopsmith is) and next visit I'll take a closer look at the sliding crosscut table.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

rkh2 wrote:I would have to say that probably the Universal Tool Rest for the lathe, as I do more turning than anything else.

You may want to check out the thread on extending the live center and upgraded tool-rests. They both make the UTR much better and are reasonably priced.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

charlese wrote: I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned the speed reducer. Does anyone use one? I've been tempted a couple of times but haven't bought yet.

I use it to start large bowl turnings for natural edged bowls, the slow speed makes rounding a raw green log possible. The extra weight also helps stabilize the machine a little more.

I have also used it with a circle cutting bit in drill press mode where the max speed of the bit is under 500 RPM.
ericolson
Gold Member

Post by ericolson »

charlese wrote:Router chucks- why didn't I think of using them for mortising? Well - thats why we have these posts!! Thanks!
A year or so ago there was a fella on eBay selling plans or completed units for horizontal mortising on the SS. His kits/plans were sweet. They travelled on an X-Y axis and made mortising a piece of cake. The jig was quite similar to the multi-router shown on the DIY show "Woodworks", except his was made of wood. I never did buy one (the fella's plan) as it was going to be a "one of these days" purchase. Unfortunately, I haven't seen him on the Bay in quite a while and regret not jumping on it when I had the chance. Horizontal mortising is still relatively easy on my SS, but it would be much easier if I had one of the jigs.
Eric
Rock Creek Designs

Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

I don't know if I would use the word "favorite", but my most used SPT is the bandsaw, and in the accessory category I find myself frequently reaching for the crosscut sliding table.

I keep looking more and more at the INCRA sled.
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

The bandsaw is the only extra accessory that I have and I can tell you it certainly gets a workout. I often use it instead of the TS when I don't need a real smooth cut or don't feel like changing over for one cut. I don't know what I would do without the bandsaw.

The other accessory I keep eying is the strip sander. This looks like it would be a great addition, especially since it is advertised to sand inside cuts. Anyone have any comments on this tool?

John
james.miller
Gold Member

Post by james.miller »

Cant say I have just one favorite.

I really like the Incra 5000 Sled and the Incra ultimate fence with router table. I use the bandsaw a lot but don't use the joiner as much now that I bought a top quality saw blade. Also I really like the dial indicator set up gage.

BTW I built a saw blade holder and mounted it on the wall to hold my blades mounted on their arbors. I used the dial indicator gage to set each blade/arbor set to its sweet spot with the runouts between .003 & .005 inch, now I get a very smooth cut with each blade.

Jim in Tucson
greitz
Gold Member

saw blade holder and blade tuneup

Post by greitz »

Hi, Jim- The saw blade holder sounds interesting, do you have any pictures or diagrams you'd like to share?

Also, could you elaborate on your blade tune-up procedure, for us rookies? I don't understand what the "sweet spot" and "runout" refers to. I just got my dial indicator a couple days ago and I'm anxious to try it out.

Thanks for the advice!

Gary
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

Bandsaw, Jointer and Joint-master in that order.