Attaching Sandpaper To Disk

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chas4104
Bronze Member

Post by chas4104 »

I am new to shopsmith. What kind of glue (name brand) do I need to attach the sandpaper disks to the sanding disk.
hartman
Bronze Member

Post by hartman »

If you buy the discs from Shopsmith they already have adhesive. Better yet, buy the velcro upgrade, much easier when changing grits.
Bren Hartman
Battle Creek, Michigan
nimrod
Silver Member

Post by nimrod »

Normally, the discs come with the adhesive already applied. Just peel off the backing and stick them on.

If you have plain non-adhesive discs, try some 3m spray glue. You can get it at about any hardware or department store.
chas4104
Bronze Member

Post by chas4104 »

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. You answered my question. I inherited about 15 sheets of the plain sandpaper disks. I will be getting some of the 3M spray adhesive tomorrow. Future sandpaper purchases will be of the self-adhesive kind.
tchwrtr55
Gold Member

Post by tchwrtr55 »

3M has Feathering Disk Adhesive that auto body people use to attach sanding disks to their air sanders, i.e. orbital sanders and dual-action sanders. Lightly coat the wheel, let it set for a minute and attach the sand paper disks. When the paper is clogged, worn off, or what ever, peal the paper off and attach another to the same glue. It can probably be found at auto parts stores like NAPA, AutoZone, Car Quest, etc. Like Shop Smith sandpaper disks, in the last dozen years or so most of those sandpaper disk come with pre-applied adhesive.

tchwrtr55