Has anyone found long extension tubes for a 510

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

THOMRIDER
Gold Member

Has anyone found long extension tubes for a 510

Post by THOMRIDER »

has anyone found any 8foot extension tubes to fit a 510 i tried electrical conduit but cant find exactly 1 inch
tom_k/mo
Platinum Member

Post by tom_k/mo »

Tom, are you referring to extension tubes for the Tables? If so, I believe conduit will work. IIRC those tubes don't have to be exactly the same diameter as they butt against the top of the extrusion and a knob with a threaded shaft just screws up against them to hold them in place.

Note: I haven't DONE this personally, but seem to remember this discussion some time ago on the forum.
ShopSmith MarkV-520 with Belt Sander, Jointer, Band Saw, Strip Sander, Scroll Saw and Biscuit Jointer SPTs and a DC-3300...
Woodworking Hobbyist (Check out all my Woodworking Plans (http://vbwhiz.isa-geek.net/plans)
Aspiring Sandcarver: Breaking glass one grain at a time.
Black Powder Shooter (love the smell of burning sulfur).
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

The inside dimension of the 510 rails is 1.05" and the outside dimension of 1" electrical metal tubing (emt) is 1.163".

The outside dimension of 3/4" emt is .922" while the o.d. of the extension tubes is exactly 1.00".

I am using several pieces of emt as extension tubes and have no problems. I don't believe it is as rigid as the regular tubes would be but is still quite functional.

I have shopped for stainless steel tubing but the cost is totally prohibitive (for me at least).

Hope this info helps.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

Well it would appear based on the responses by 520 owners, the 3/4 emt works fine. It may be a little sloppier with a 510 because the thumb screw presses the tube horizontally instead of vertically (520). Gravity may not be as forgiving with a 510. I would think that you could get some 1" OD tubing that might work better at a place like this:
http://www.onlinemetalstore.com/

Though I don't have Dusty's money, so I would be looking at steel tubing not stainless steel.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

THOMRIDER wrote:has anyone found any 8foot extension tubes to fit a 510 i tried electrical conduit but cant find exactly 1 inch

Hi THOMRIDER! Welcome to the Forum! What part of the world do you call home? You can update your user CP so your location will be posted automatically.

Although I don't possess the expertise of others here re: machine specs, I know that the 510 tubes are tightened horizontally to the outside of the table tubes. Therefore you will need an extension tube that fits fairly snug into the table tubes.

As Dusty has shown - a 1" diameter is perfect! It seems to me that a heavier tube would work best to prevent bending.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
cowboyplus
Gold Member

Post by cowboyplus »

THOMRIDER wrote:has anyone found any 8foot extension tubes to fit a 510 i tried electrical conduit but cant find exactly 1 inch

I found 3/4" galvanized ridgid electrical pipe is an exact tight fit. I scoured with Comet and coated with Johnson paste wax.
tkhudson
Gold Member

Post by tkhudson »

How hard would it be to have a machine shop turn an end that was at one-inch diameter and then stepped down to go into the inside of the 3/4" EMT this could be a press fit or simply tacked or set screwed in

SDSSmith wrote:Well it would appear based on the responses by 520 owners, the 3/4 emt works fine. It may be a little sloppier with a 510 because the thumb screw presses the tube horizontally instead of vertically (520). Gravity may not be as forgiving with a 510. I would think that you could get some 1" OD tubing that might work better at a place like this:
http://www.onlinemetalstore.com/

Though I don't have Dusty's money, so I would be looking at steel tubing not stainless steel.
and
Silver Member

Post by and »

I live near St.louis Mo and it seems to me you could go to a steel yard and have your pick of scraps of 1" solid round stock and they charge by the pound.
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

I would look for a local metal supply store. As an example referencing the online metal store, 20 feet of 1" by 10 gauge ERW (Electric Resistance Welded) steel tubing is around $17. Or for DOM (Drawn Over Mandrel), 204 inches of 1" x 5/32" tubing is around $57. It wouldn't take much time for a machinist to "chip" through that amount of cash. Depending on what you plan to do with the extended setup, you could also turn down a hardwood adapter for the EMT on your Shopsmith for light duty applications.:)
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com