More info on you and your shopsmith

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

More info on you and your shopsmith

Post by reible »

Hi,

In another thread we looked at how you got your shopsmith, you know, new, used, and inherited. As of my last look the poll stacked up as 48% new, 36% used and 15% inherited. Now of course this is just for those that answered the poll and not everyone here did.

We have also seen posts about what people thought we might do to help out shopsmith (not that they need our help but people like to feel that they can help and we can vent any ideas we wish at them, which also might make some feel better about the situation).

Since my interest is aroused about certain comments and subjections it came to me that it might be interesting to get some more data from those of us who purchased our shopsmith new. I'm not setting this up as a poll because I'm not sure a poll is the best way to gather this information.

So do as you like but the format could be something like this:

Year purchased: 1976

How did you order: Ad in either popular mechanics or popular science.

What prompted you to order: Sale Price!!!! I was also making enough money to afford one for the whatever it was ($749 ??) price. Plus they were selling them again!! (see below)

How did you decide on a shopsmith: Several reasons;
1) we had a table saw (tilt-table) and a jointer (shopsmiths brother maybe), it had one motor and you put the belt on the saw to use it and then took that off and on the other end of the motor shaft you put the belt on and ran the jointer. Cool hun? I liked the idea of all the other tools that the shopsmith offered and was familiar with the concept.
2) wood working magazines always had ads for them and sometimes they even had articles about them or projects done with them. The MKVII was in the same issue as the '64 GTO in I think it was in popular mechanics.
3) I liked the basic design.
4) I had wanted one since I had first seen them in the ads late '40's and early 50's The magazines were old ones as I'm not that old... been 37 for years now (I was just a kid then but I understood how they worked just from the ads) When they went out of business it was like the end of a dream for me... I would never get to own my very own new shopsmith. (Yes a version of the "I had a dream" idea).

It's late and I'm going out of town for a while but I think you get the idea of what I'm thinking of here........ you want to do the samething on used machines or details you might know about the former ower(s) or who you inherited it from feel free.

Ed
Gampa
Gold Member

Post by Gampa »

Good idea: Who knows maybe SS will hear something new from someone:

Purchased: 1995

Where: After looking for two years finally ordered at a large fair in the area.

Reason to order:I had retired from the Navy and finally was going to be in one place long enough to have a small shop.

Why Shopsmith: Note the word small above (11x16). I can't cut a length of 8" board without sticking part of it out the door. Being able to have 5 machines in one was a big plus, that and it was less expensive in the long run then individual machines.
That said I have to admit that due to life's unexpected bumps and finances I didn't do much with it for the first 12 years. It has only been after the Grandkids have come along that I have really gotten into it again and it has been with a vengeance. Always a project in some state of design or building, every new project just a little more challenging, and of course I have to have the accessories to go with the saw so I can make each new project a little bit better (thank God for Holiday Sales, the Traveling Academy and eBay)

Future of my Shopsmith: This is something I hope to due for the rest of my life. May my cup always overflow with the next project. Whether it be redesigning the kitchen and bath with new cabinets or a toy for the Grandkids. I doubt that my son would want my equipment when I am gone so I have my hopes that my Grandson's interests will continue to grow in that direction.:)
Enjoy a little sawdust therapy

Walt
520, Joiner, band saw, Planer, Dust Collector, 6: Belt Sander, OPR, Scroll Saw
manvelar
Gold Member

Post by manvelar »

Headline 1996, Dayton Ohio, Dayton Convention Center, Home and Garden show: Andy buys a Shopsmith MkV model 510 with the free upgrade (Bandsaw) while his wife buys a set of pots and pans for almost the same price. Flash forward to 2007, both the SS and the pots and pans are still in use almost daily.

Seriously, I'd been looking at the SS for many years and know a few happy owners - we came into some money and finaly made it happen. Since then, I've added several accessories - the standalone scroll saw, the jointer, belt sander, and many smaller accessories (Dado set, lathe tools, better blades (Oldham) and such.

About 2 years ago, SHMBO got into wood turning so we bought her a Jet mini-lathe which she quickly outgrew. To upgrade her, we found a SS MkV Model 500 on ebay and bought it - the previous owner had passed on - moment of silence here - and this was part of his estate. A quick trip in the van from Dayton OH to Buffalo New York and now we have two Mk V's. At the factory sale earlier this year, I was able to buy all the individual parts to upgrade the 510 to a 520 for somewhere under $50 - what a deal!!

As a teenager in the early 1970's, I worked at a place called Arlington Woodworking as a cabinetmaker and in 1976 got some training as a software developer - but woodworking has been a hobby all those years.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Year purchased:
1985 $1300 out the door

How did you order:
Ran into demo'er told him I would love to have a Shopsmith but I was an immediate gratification person. He asked if I had a truck. I told him I did he gave directions to his house. I drove there the next day and he had one sitting in storage. I took it home that day.

What prompted you to order:
The fact I could have it that day, actually it was the next day but I didn't have to wait for it to be trucked from Dayton.

How did you decide on a shopsmith:
I had done my homework and at the time I couldn't buy the separate machines cheaper than Shopsmith. Plus I liked the space savings.

To answer these questions I had to go through my SS receipts. I noticed that over 90% of what I bought was bought by my wife as a secret Christmas, birthday, or Father's day present. At the time SS customer service knew most of the SS and could tell my wife what tool I didn't have and which ones I had mentioned I wanted.
Today the daughters and grandchildren give me SS gift cards. I have one I have yet to use waiting for that new just got to have it tool!
Ed
rkh2
Platinum Member

Post by rkh2 »

Year purchased – September 1993
Where – At Cool Springs Mall in Cool Springs, TN
Reason to purchase – I had always wanted one every since I saw a live demo at a County Fair in Pomona, Calif. Never had enough extra income prior to the time I purchased. After seeing many demos and each time I got the fever more and more so finally couldn’t resist any longer when I watched the demo at the mall.
Why did I decide on a SS? I only had a one car garage with no room and a 12 X 28 utility building on my lot, which is functioning as both my shop and storage. I didn’t have room for multiple stand alone tools and I felt that the quality of the SS was excellent, plus still made in the USA. I bought the 510 model with a jointer and band saw and the DC 3300 was part of the promotion for $2888.99. I must admit that because I was working at GM (Saturn Division) in maint, with all the overtime I worked, I didn’t really have much time to use my SS. I took several classes at Woodcraft and have become quite proficient at turning and now since having retired from GM this past August, I am finally starting to use my SS. I have always enjoyed working with wood and would really like to see national shopsmith woodworkers associations get started. With as many owners that are out there, there should be enough interest to make it happen.
Ron from Lewisburg, TN
easterngray
Platinum Member

Post by easterngray »

Year Purchased: 2006
How bought: Classified ad
Reason: I simply wanted one!!
Why Shopsmith?: Limited space coupled with an admiration for a well designed tool!
Alec
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
jerryjankura
Silver Member

Post by jerryjankura »

Year Purchased: mid 1980's
How bought: Dayton Store
Reason: Not enough Shop space; had always wanted one
Why Shopsmith?: Limited space; actually had standalone Craftsman drill press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman table saw. Sold off the drill press and lathe; eventually moved Craftsman saw to daughter's house.

Ever since I was a kid watching their demos (probably when Magna owned the brand), I wanted one. The folks demonstrating the unit made it look simple and easy to convert from one mode to another, almost like magic (remember, I was a kid). My first Shopsmith brand tool was their 12 inch planer. That started my "subscription" to their ad's and Hands ON magazine.

Got an ad letter from John Folkerth with some sales pricing on their then newly introduced model 510. My main objection to the SS was the small saw table; With the expanded table, the SS became more appealing and I had the money to purchase one. We drove our station wagon down to Dayton; the store was really busy. I mean there were lots of people - and they were buying one model or another of the Mark-V. (There were three or four people in line ahead of me who were putting around $1200 + dollars on the counter to take one home). Shopsmith was selling to a very receptive audience.

The salesman had to help us cut away some of the cardboard on the cartons to make it fit the back of the wagon. When we got back home to Strongsville, Carol helped me maneuver the various pieces down the stairs and into the shop. It was about ten at night by the time I had it assembled. Sunday, after church, I got it aligned. My first project was a jewelry box for my daughter. I decided to make it using as many of the ShopSmith modes that I could - even if I knew better ways to do the job - so I could learn the machine. I haven't looked back on that decision. I enjoy using the tool and have made quite a few items over these twenty plus years I've owned it.

During the past few years, the tone at the store seemed to be one of doom and gloom. The times Carol and I visited there, we were usually the only ones in the store. In a way, it shouldn't have been too surprising when we visited there last week, only to find that the store was shut down.

-- Jerry J.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

Year Purchased: Early 1980's new 500 with Jointer and Bandsaw as a package. I have never used the jointer but it is used all the time by others.
Upgraded to 510 when it was first on sale
Upgraded to 520 as soon as it was on sale
Upgraded to new rip scale the month it hit the sale catalog
How bought: All from Shopsmith 800# or more recently on-line, I have sold every extra part (from the upgrades) on eBay usually for more they they cost new.
Reason: Not enough Shop space; I had part of a 1 car garage in the 80's, until 1990 I had a 1,500 Sq ft shop then shrunk to a one car garage with separate space for a remove dust collector. Right now I have so many tools and accessories you can't stand or work in my shop. My home is under major renovation and when complete I should have more space for my shop unless my son steals my shop for his new car.

Why Shopsmith?: Limited space; and I wanted a large lathe, turns out I mostly turn pens and small bowls, who knew.
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

Dreamed of buying a shopsmith way back in the early 80's instead bought stand alone machines which took up my whole garage. I would go to woodworking shows with my brother and I would hang out at the shopsmith booth, then they had a couple of demo's at Lowe's. So I sold my stand alone machines
Bought a 1960 aniversary mk v 500 in 2005 off ebay
Bought a 1980 mk v 500 off craigslist 2005 came with bandsaw and jointer.
Sold my 1960
Upgraded to a 510 in 2006 off craiglist, ebay and shopsmith
Upgraded bandsaw from ss
Bought a ss joint-matic
Bought another 1982 mk v 500 off craigslist that came with a bandsaw & planer.
Built a router table with ss ext legs
Reason for shopsmith is space, built in USA and solid built
I can build a major project like the armoire I am building now and still have room in my shop.
I do have stand alone machines like my dewalt scroll saw, delta planer, and delta miter saw.
Next shopsmith purchase will be the 520 upgrade and the strip sander.
Also would like to get the jointech smartmiter.:D