Gallery of Restorations

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

hohenfelsjoe wrote:Here is my entry, I will honestly say I could not have done it without this group. Many Thanks!

I did not get any before shots, I will on the next one.
On a 1 to 10 scale, I give it a big 10 for sure!!! Beautiful work!!
Mike
Sunny San Diego
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

hohenfelsjoe wrote:Here is my entry, I will honestly say I could not have done it without this group. Many Thanks!

and

I did not get any before shots, I will on the next one.
Joe it is just beautiful. WOW!! The only thing I would change is to turn the headrest 180 degrees so that you can use it with the 4E jointer you probably have stashed somewhere.:D Thanks for sharing the pics and congratulations on a beautiful restoration.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Mixed Bag

Post by nuhobby »

Hi,

I've been swapping things around while I wait for the Power Pro retrofit to come in for my main machine. I obtained a $1.00 (plus Shipping) 1959 headstock. I was able to revive the 3/4-hp motor, and then cleaned and reworked everything. This is my dedicated Shorty motor now.
[ATTACH]9859[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]9860[/ATTACH]
Attachments
3_4 HP headstock before.jpg
3_4 HP headstock before.jpg (31.1 KiB) Viewed 15464 times
3_4 HP headstock after.jpg
3_4 HP headstock after.jpg (44.88 KiB) Viewed 15450 times
Chris
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

nuhobby wrote:Hi,

I've been swapping things around while I wait for the Power Pro retrofit to come in for my main machine. I obtained a $1.00 (plus Shipping) 1959 headstock. I was able to revive the 3/4-hp motor, and then cleaned and reworked everything. This is my dedicated Shorty motor now.
[ATTACH]9859[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]9860[/ATTACH]
The headstock is beautiful. What colors did you use? Looks like you either got some new parts (speed control and speed indicator dial) or you have really done a wonderful job of cleaning up and repainting. The bench tubes look like a slightly more recent vintage than the headstock.:) I guess you won't be trading this headstock in for your Power Pro.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

SDSSmith wrote:The headstock is beautiful. What colors did you use? Looks like you either got some new parts (speed control and speed indicator dial) or you have really done a wonderful job of cleaning up and repainting. The bench tubes look like a slightly more recent vintage than the headstock.:) I guess you won't be trading this headstock in for your Power Pro.
Thanks! The motor-pan and belt-cover are in the 'newer' Shopsmith gray paint, which came out glossier than the typical OEM Shopsmith parts. The aluminum casting is in a "hammered" paint I got at Ace Hardware, by Krylon I think, not one of the more popular Hammered series. In fact it seemed to paint like gloss-paint, with hardly any hammering/dimpling obvious. I used the speed-indicator ring and internal Poly-V parts from my late-model machine, but was able to redo the original '59 speed-knob with cleaning and red enamel paint. Inside, the rusty GE 3/4-hp motor appeared never to have had any paint, so I left it wire-brushed and waxed. Past postings by mickyd, etc., were very helpful on servicing that motor.
Chris
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Post by judaspre1982 »

=============================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Thu May 11, 2017 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

Did you order new warning and speed chart stickers from Shopsmith or did you make them?
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Hi, I ordered those stickers from Shopsmith. They are pretty affordable.
BTW on the PowerPro promotions it looks like brand-new stickers will be coming out, similar in size & location to current production stickers.
Chris
peterm
Platinum Member

Post by peterm »

[ATTACH]10625[/ATTACH]
I just got that old $50 greenie Shopsmith Mark 5 back in service and working ok. My goal was to get it back in service so it is refurbished ( mostly cosmetic) but not like "new".

Info from this site was invaluable. I replaced the speed control dial because its gear was partially stripped and the carriage that I stupidly broke a piece out of when loading into my truck ( failed to lock headstock) by getting replacements off Ebay. The porkchop was swapped in from a spare head I have and oil holes were added to the pulleys. No bearings were replaced (yet), fingers crossed!
[ATTACH]10626[/ATTACH]
I took the head all apart and cleaned out the compacted sawdust and stripped to bare metal, primed and painted the parts to match my other machine, a 510.
[ATTACH]10627[/ATTACH]
I used Rustoleum textured spray paint in dark pewter colour, 2 coats, a really good colour match ( but it is a more or less a flat finish, not semi-gloss). I made a slow speed aux. drive for my other SS and sanded rust off the steel tubes and waxed them; they look ok and work fine...the head slides nicely. I freed up the quill so it strokes ok. I replaced the power cord and added 4 casters.
[ATTACH]10628[/ATTACH]
I still have to refurbish the miter gauge. I intend to leave my band saw and sanding disk set up on it more or less permanently, and use the 510 for table sawing, strip sanding,jig sawing, etc.
Attachments
old greenie 0.jpg
old greenie 0.jpg (119.41 KiB) Viewed 15258 times
old greenie 1.jpg
old greenie 1.jpg (126.37 KiB) Viewed 15252 times
old greenie 2.jpg
old greenie 2.jpg (98.74 KiB) Viewed 15246 times
old greenie 3.jpg
old greenie 3.jpg (101.84 KiB) Viewed 15247 times
Peter
a 510,a Mini, dedicated SS drillpress, SS spt's, home made SS belt grinder, SS piston air system, Southbend 10k lathe, mill/drill, Taig
easterngray
Platinum Member

Post by easterngray »

Great job Peter - that machine is ready for a few more decades of dedicated service. Alec
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's