Shopsmith storage

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

marteen
Bronze Member

Shopsmith storage

Post by marteen »

I am a new SS owner and had to move my Mark V into my garage and I'm worried about rust. It can get damp in the garage and am wondering if there is anything I can to to prevent rust.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

This is hard without knowing where you are located but if you anticipate that it will get damp you must keep it waxed and lubricated. I would also suggest that you keep it covered (loosely) with a cover that is a water shed.

Shopsmith sells covers that work great. I have covers for everything except my joiner.

I need covers, here in Arizona, for different reasons. I have the shop door open almost every day, all day. It is not unusual to walk into the shop and have a pair of quail go flying out the door from up on one of the shelves. As they leave they deposit their gifts which are very corrosive.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
marteen
Bronze Member

Post by marteen »

It is stored in a small detached garage. When it rains, there is some seepage of water in on the floor (away for the Mark V). I did make a cover out of garbage bags and duct tape which covers it completely.

As for the lube and paste, what do you recommend? Which parts get the lubrications and which get the paste? Will WD40 work for a lubricant?

Thanks for the advice.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

marteen wrote: Which parts get the lubrications and which get the paste? Will WD40 work for a lubricant?

Thanks for the advice.
Wax the tables and tubes, but don't buff it off. Lube goes inside the headstock.

WD40 ISN'T a lubricant, it's a penetrate Use 30 weight oil..
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

marteen wrote: I did make a cover out of garbage bags and duct tape which covers it completely.

Thanks for the advice.
Beware of using garbage bags for a water protecting cover for any item that is even remotely capable of accumulating rust.

Plastic especially if sealed with tape can be a source of moisture building up and create mega amounts of rust. When young I was rebuilding a '51 ford in my dads garage. I covered a lawnmower with plastic and the amount of rust was truly destructive. Especially to my pocketbook. Dad felt I should fund repairing the damage done. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

marteen wrote:It is stored in a small detached garage. When it rains, there is some seepage of water in on the floor (away for the Mark V). I did make a cover out of garbage bags and duct tape which covers it completely.

As for the lube and paste, what do you recommend? Which parts get the lubrications and which get the paste? Will WD40 work for a lubricant?

Thanks for the advice.
Although some use WD40 as a lubricant, it truly is not one, but to answer your question]
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

marteen wrote:It is stored in a small detached garage. When it rains, there is some seepage of water in on the floor (away for the Mark V). I did make a cover out of garbage bags and duct tape which covers it completely.

Thanks for the advice.
Check out this Thread Johnson's Paste Wax Welcome to the Forum.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
marteen
Bronze Member

Post by marteen »

All great suggestions. I will look into replacing my garbage bag cover with a motorcycle cover (maybe I'll go to Kragan Auto).

How is the oil (30w) applied to the headstock? I bought the maintenance DVD from Rick Davis. Does the DVD cover this?
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

marteen wrote:All great suggestions. I will look into replacing my garbage bag cover with a motorcycle cover (maybe I'll go to Kragan Auto).

How is the oil (30w) applied to the headstock? I bought the maintenance DVD from Rick Davis. Does the DVD cover this?
I used to do it with a straw but I have changed my ways due to recommendations here on the forum. For the last couple years I use a Zoom-Spout oiled that I bought at Ace. The Zoom-Spout iscertainly neater.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
marteen
Bronze Member

Post by marteen »

Please forgive the additional questions for I am just a newbee to the world of SS.

How exactly is the 30w oil applied to the headstock? Is the front cover off the headstock the only thing that needs to be removed before applying the 30w? Do I just pour the oil in or strategically apply to certain areas?
Also is it required to take the top cover off? I ask because I watched the Maintenance and Cleaning video with Nick and it looked pretty involved. Also, he treated parts with an aerosol spray outdoor lacquer and the inside of the motor housing with navel jelly and spray lacquer. Is this another method for rust prevention?