My first band saw box!

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

heathicus
Platinum Member

My first band saw box!

Post by heathicus »

I've been dying to use my bandsaw ever since getting it and now that it's running, I had to make a bandsaw box this evening! This was sort of a test/practice/prototype rushed to get done before the LOML called me in for supper. So, it could have been sanded down a bit more (you can see the sanding marks in the pictures) and some other imperfections fixed, but I had a blast making it!

It's about 4.5" at the widest dimension to give you some sense of scale.

The wood is red aromatic cedar (I think). I used the disk sander to give me six flat (and somewhat square) sides. Then cut with the bandsaw following Nick's tutorial. Except I got the front & back and the left & right sides reversed. I should have cut the front and back first so the seam would be on the side.

Anyway, glue-up was the hardest part! Tape helped a lot. Then I used the disk sander again to get the sides flush and smooth and put a little bevel on the edges. I wiped on a few coats of Watco Danish Oil, gave that a few minutes to dry, then put on a few coats of Johnson's Paste wax.

I just gave it to LOML and she loved it. :D I thought it came out pretty well to be a rush job AND my first time to make something with a bandsaw in 20 years!
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

heathicus wrote:I've been dying to use my bandsaw ever since getting it and now that it's running, I had to make a bandsaw box this evening! This was sort of a test/practice/prototype rushed to get done before the LOML called me in for supper. So, it could have been sanded down a bit more (you can see the sanding marks in the pictures) and some other imperfections fixed, but I had a blast making it!

It's about 4.5" at the widest dimension to give you some sense of scale.

The wood is red aromatic cedar (I think). I used the disk sander to give me six flat (and somewhat square) sides. Then cut with the bandsaw following Nick's tutorial. Except I got the front & back and the left & right sides reversed. I should have cut the front and back first so the seam would be on the side.

Anyway, glue-up was the hardest part! Tape helped a lot. Then I used the disk sander again to get the sides flush and smooth and put a little bevel on the edges. I wiped on a few coats of Watco Danish Oil, gave that a few minutes to dry, then put on a few coats of Johnson's Paste wax.

I just gave it to LOML and she loved it. :D I thought it came out pretty well to be a rush job AND my first time to make something with a bandsaw in 20 years!
Heathicus, Impressive, my hurry up jobs always come out upside down and backwards. A tip of the old cowboy hat to you. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Post by wannabewoodworker »

That is awesome! Now what is a bandsaw box??? Why is it called a bandsaw box??? Why is the bandsaw special to making this particular box shape???

Be advised I am like my handle Wannabewoodworker so all of this stuff is new to me. I can restore and rebuild with the best of them but making sawdust I am still in my infancy.
Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

VERY NICE! first box, Heath! Way to go! You even got supper!

Note to Michael (wannabe..) - Just Google bandsaw boxes and you will get a bunch of information.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Just Google bandsaw boxes and you will get a bunch of information.

Char,
That is god advice but anybody can Google I was hoping for some more indepth and personal SSF type of explanation here. Google is so impersonal......................;)
Michael Mayo
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
rkh2
Platinum Member

Post by rkh2 »

Michael

Here is a link to a sawdust session that Nick does showing some things about making a band-saw box and what its all about. Hope this is something you may be looking for.

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... _Index.htm
Ron from Lewisburg, TN
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

[quote="wannabewoodworker"]Char,
That is god advice but anybody can Google I was hoping for some more indepth and personal SSF type of explanation here. Google is so impersonal......................]

Well - Sorry about steering you to an impersonal source;) , but there are explanations, videos, designs, plans, all available in a very short search. The sites I saw were put together by woodworkers specializing in bandsaw boxes. They are WAY more indepth than someone (me) could hope to explain on this forum.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

I did follow your advice and there is a plethora of results that come out of that search. Very cool stuff and makes me want a band saw even more now........DAMN! More money! But they look rather easy compared to some other types of projects.
Michael Mayo
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

wannabewoodworker wrote:That is awesome! Now what is a bandsaw box??? Why is it called a bandsaw box??? Why is the bandsaw special to making this particular box shape???
Looks like you have your answer now, but it being a "bandsaw box" isn't about the design, but about how it's made. You start with one solid piece of wood and, with strategic cuts of the bandsaw, end up with a box. Some are complex with drawers or trays or hidden compartments. Mine above was very, very simple. What's great about them is you don't have to fret over the joinery. Joints don't have to be accurate and perfectly square. If your cut is a not quite straight, it's OK because the mating pieces are going to mirror each other almost perfectly. And since it comes from a single block of wood, the grain pattern will continue around to every side. But the best thing about them is they are really easy to make and get great results. The design and features are only limited by your imagination.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
------------------------
Gold Member

Post by ------------------------ »

Hey Heath!
Very nice box. Now that I have a bandsaw, I may have to try one. I myself like a couple of imperfections, they show that it was handmade.
Funny story: I took shop and wood working in high school and college and it was beaten into our heads that everything MUST be perfect. When I started making furniture to sell, the seller insisted that all of my pieces were old looking and distressed. I had to throw perfection out the window. Now I had to create items that the edges didnt line up. Gouges with the belt sander were desirable. My son and I would beat up the furniture with hammers and chains, we would hammer everything imaginable onto the surfaces. We even filled up socks with woodscrews and beat the furniture silly. To this day I have problems with perfection!