Gallery of completed woodworking projects

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

For a fisrt major project, it turned out GREAT.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

Nice little boat jbergen, I not only recognized her but recognized the Sucia Island rendezvous photos. I was looking for my boat but you missed me by a few yards or maybe a few hours. Don't feel too bad about that I have about twenty shots from my anchorage in the bay and only one with your lovely yawl in it. It's too distant in the photo to even recognize. http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/attachm ... 1322876893
I met you briefly but you may remember me or my boat.
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/attachm ... 1322876926

Do you recognize the burgee on my shroud?

Paul M (Friendship)
Attachments
DSC01410.JPG
DSC01410.JPG (61.53 KiB) Viewed 13110 times

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Paul M ........ The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
jbergen
Silver Member

Post by jbergen »

shipwright wrote:Nice little boat jbergen, I not only recognized her but recognized the Sucia Island rendezvous photos. I was looking for my boat but you missed me by a few yards or maybe a few hours. Don't feel too bad about that I have about twenty shots from my anchorage in the bay and only one with your lovely yawl in it. It's too distant in the photo to even recognize. http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/attachm ... 1322876893
I met you briefly but you may remember me or my boat.
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/attachm ... 1322876926

Do you recognize the burgee on my shroud?

Paul M (Friendship)
OMG, Hello Paul! I didn't realize you hung out here on the Shopsmith forum. I didn't make the connection. I certainly remember your beautiful boat "Friendship" and I wish we had spent more time talking. Hopefully we'll be able to next year at Sucia. Did you use your Shopsmith to build her? Turns out I did capture a photo of her at Sucia. Gorgeous!

[ATTACH]14974[/ATTACH]
Attachments
100_0989.JPG
100_0989.JPG (558 KiB) Viewed 13133 times
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

I built her in Canada where I have all my dedicated tools about a year before I started getting into SS. My main SS stuff is done at my Az winter place where my shop space is much smaller and my budget much lower. I do now have a 10ER in Cowichan bay and do use it on almost every project for one thing or another.
See you at Sucia next year. You could even come to Montague Harbour in May.

Paul M
Paul M ........ The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Re: Chevalet de Marqueterie

Post by nuhobby »

shipwright wrote:This is my latest baby. She cut her first veneers today and I am way more than impressed. Almost immediately I was making far more precise cuts than I could ever have hoped to cut with my DeWalt scroll saw. It's a copy of a machine introduced in Paris about 200 years ago that at the time revolutionized the art of marquetry. Mine is self designed after looking at photos on the web. It's not far off the original except for the fact that I have access to better bushings. She's a joy to operate.
[ATTACH]12106[/ATTACH]

Almost all operations were done on my 510 here in Green Valley. It took about 40 hours and cost me under $100. Thanks to Gene Howe for the Bois d'Arc used in the saw frame and the mesquite in the knob and rocker rack. The rest of the wood was salvaged from an old beam I had to replace because one foot of it was rotten.
[ATTACH]12107[/ATTACH]
This is the mesquite knob. You don't actually hold it by this strangely. It's use is in springing the blade.
[ATTACH]12108[/ATTACH]
This is the operator's position. very relaxed and comfortable. You could do it for hours.
[ATTACH]12110[/ATTACH]
This is a little marquetry border I chose to try her out. The white bits are pattern paper stuck to some of the dark green veneers. It will come off after final glue-up.
[ATTACH]12109[/ATTACH]

For a full blow by blow construction tour here's the album:https://picasaweb.google.com/paulm549/C ... directlink

Paul M

I just picked up a British "Furniture and Cabinetmaking" magazine from the bookstore; it is featuring a "Marquetry Donkey." It looks like Paul's superb Chevalet project. A great posting worth reviewing here!

Chris
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Re: Chevalet de Marqueterie

Post by nuhobby »

shipwright wrote:This is my latest baby. She cut her first veneers today and I am way more than impressed. Almost immediately I was making far more precise cuts than I could ever have hoped to cut with my DeWalt scroll saw. It's a copy of a machine introduced in Paris about 200 years ago that at the time revolutionized the art of marquetry. Mine is self designed after looking at photos on the web. It's not far off the original except for the fact that I have access to better bushings. She's a joy to operate.
[ATTACH]12106[/ATTACH]

Almost all operations were done on my 510 here in Green Valley. It took about 40 hours and cost me under $100. Thanks to Gene Howe for the Bois d'Arc used in the saw frame and the mesquite in the knob and rocker rack. The rest of the wood was salvaged from an old beam I had to replace because one foot of it was rotten.
[ATTACH]12107[/ATTACH]
This is the mesquite knob. You don't actually hold it by this strangely. It's use is in springing the blade.
[ATTACH]12108[/ATTACH]
This is the operator's position. very relaxed and comfortable. You could do it for hours.
[ATTACH]12110[/ATTACH]
This is a little marquetry border I chose to try her out. The white bits are pattern paper stuck to some of the dark green veneers. It will come off after final glue-up.
[ATTACH]12109[/ATTACH]

For a full blow by blow construction tour here's the album:https://picasaweb.google.com/paulm549/C ... directlink

Paul M

I just picked up a British "Furniture and Cabinetmaking" magazine from the bookstore; it is featuring a "Marquetry Donkey." It looks like Paul's superb Chevalet project. A great posting worth reviewing here!

Chris
shipwright
Platinum Member

Re: Gallery of completed woodworking projects

Post by shipwright »

Thanks for remembering this Chris. That started a whole new part of my life. I now have six chevalets, five of which I use in my new marquetry school at home in Canada. This is my latest piece of work, a Louis XIV inspired jewellery box. Some of the work was done with my Shopsmith as well.
jbsmall.jpg
jbsmall.jpg (270.61 KiB) Viewed 12878 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

OMG WOW!!!!!!!!

Totally inadequate words to describe that.

And I thought that little bird in your icon was 'excellent'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

I'm sitting here in awe.
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

I will have to agree with JPG, OMG WOW!!!!!!!!
That is beautiful.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless