Another Spammer

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

joedw00
Platinum Member

Another Spammer

Post by joedw00 »

Looks like we have another spammer.:mad: :mad: ( byroncal ) E-Mailed the boss again.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
nsmith01tx
Gold Member

Post by nsmith01tx »

The style is very much like the last couple we've had ... bet it's the same guy.
Nathan Smith
Austin, TX
1981 Mark V 500
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

nsmith01tx wrote:The style is very much like the last couple we've had ... bet it's the same guy.
More likely a computer or 1,000 infected with malicious software automatically spamming forum sites. These things are automated a person does not spend time spamming sites (usually). The sad part is that the owners of those systems probably don;t even know it's happening.

BTW Use reliable anti-virus software and keep it updated. If you have a broadband connection (DSL, Cable) get a router and use that between your network interface (MODEM) and your computer. This is by far one of the most reliable ways to protect your system.
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

[quote="terrydowning"]More likely a computer or 1,000 infected with malicious software automatically spamming forum sites. These things are automated a person does not spend time spamming sites (usually). The sad part is that the owners of those systems probably don]

Or run Linux. :)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Does the existence of a router, in the interface, provide virus/spam protection?

If yes, does that include the DSL modem/router that I have for my QWest DSL connection?

Does going wireless, between the DSL Modem and my computer, have any effect on the level of protection.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

dusty wrote:Does the existence of a router, in the interface, provide virus/spam protection? Not specifically VIRUS protection so NO, Not inherently. If a user allows malicious software onto their system by downloading and executing it, then the computer instruction will execute.

If yes, does that include the DSL modem/router that I have for my QWest DSL connection?

Does going wireless, between the DSL Modem and my computer, have any effect on the level of protection. Wireless connections are in fact done using Network Address Translation (NAT) routing, see below.
See my specific responses in red above.

Every computer that connects to the internet must have an address in order to communicate. A Router, specifically a Network Address Translation (NAT) Router, gets the public address and "Routes" communications to other computers on an internal network through a private address that can't be negotiated on the Internet; Private addresses that CAN NOT be routed are part of the Internet Packet Protocol. Since the NAT router is very limited in what it can and can't do malicious software and instructions thrown at it's public address have little to no effect. Any attacks on a router would have to be very specific in nature and be able update the firmware on the router and then reboot it. Most routers do not allow firmware updates with out a user specifically authorizing it.

By using a NAT router you are essentially putting your computer behind a gated community and keeping the crazies out. Many companies now offer combined MODEM/Routers. I use one that is combined.

Begin Rant

BTW the ability of any PC to be free of malicious software regardless of Operating System (Apple, Linux, Windows, etc.) with a public Internet address is measured in seconds. Don't assume that because you have a Linux or Mac OS that you are protected from malicious software, because that just isn't the case. With the rise of Android a LINUX based OS and IPhone's IOS (a variant of the MAC OS) in additon to the latest OS from Microsoft being much more secure, malicious software writers have new reason to become ever more inventive and target the Linux and MAC platforms.

Rant concluded.
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Dusty, aboout your wirless. It depends upon HOW ya have it configured.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

beeg wrote:Dusty, aboout your wirless. It depends upon HOW ya have it configured.
OKAY, now you have done it. I'll have to call in the grand kids to tell me how I have it configured and if it helps guard against what we have been discussing the way it is configured.

OR

You could save me on this and give me some more information about the needed configuration.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

I'm glad you guys know what your talking about.:eek:
My 2 year old grandson uses his mom's i-phone.
I personally still miss the dial on my last phone.
As for the spammer, if we all ignore he/she/it maybe it will go away, or perhaps the moderator can block it.
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

terrydowning wrote:See my specific responses in red above.
Begin Rant

BTW the ability of any PC to be free of malicious software regardless of Operating System (Apple, Linux, Windows, etc.) with a public Internet address is measured in seconds. Don't assume that because you have a Linux or Mac OS that you are protected from malicious software, because that just isn't the case. With the rise of Android a LINUX based OS and IPhone's IOS (a variant of the MAC OS) in additon to the latest OS from Microsoft being much more secure, malicious software writers have new reason to become ever more inventive and target the Linux and MAC platforms.

Rant concluded.

And here is my rant back...
Hogwash... For every hacker trying to crack Linux there are 10,000 hacking and trying to infect Windows... And it will stay much like that for a while. Yes more will work at screwing up Linux as time passes but hardly in equal numbers. Not soon. I do run a Linux firewall BTW.
Linux isn't for everybody and I really hope it doesn't become that way because when it is it will be screwed up. I'll continue to to use it because it simply works... Unlike that piece of crap Vista the finally broke the camels back and convinced me to dump Windows. Hell, one Windows version "blue screened" on stage during its release. The Linux Community really cares about the OS's while MS only cares about making another buck. Go ahead and pay a premium price for Windows over and over and over again every few years. That is how they want it. I'll never go back. They have nothing to offer me. I will also continue to advise friends to at least putter with Linux (free) to see if they think it will serve their needs. Like I said, it isn't for everybody.
My favorite so far is Ubuntu.
90% of PC infection is caused by the finger that pushes the power on button by the stuff they open without thinking and all of the people out there still not running even basic protection.
OK, I'm done talking about this... Back to woodworking.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill