Happy Shopsmith Owner

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

army1ret
Silver Member

Happy Shopsmith Owner

Post by army1ret »

Hello All!

I've been into woodworking for over two years now. I purchased my Mark V right before I retired from the US Army! After twenty years, I felt it was time for something I wanted to do since I was a kid.

My main tool is the Shopsmith. I also own a Rigid jointer and osolating spindle sander and a DeWalt planer. Good tools each and every one, but none can compare to Shopsmith.

My first project was a crosscut sled. I felt I needed one after I used the miter guage and simply couldn't make a square cut to save my soul. Making it was fun and I learned so much.

Believe it or not, my second big project was a chair. Ok, not the smartest move in the world! After all, chairs are, from what I've read, for more advanced woodworkers! Lessons learned with the project? Do NOT do chairs for your second project! The biggest problem I had was getting the mortise and tennon joints correct. I finished the first chair and took a break from chairs!

I've turned a few ink pens in my day, of various woods (Purpleheart, Bloodwood, Paduke, Canarywood and Ebony to name a few). I've enjoyed every one of them! Turning is "da bomb!"

Since I've owned the Mark V, I've used each and every tool. It is incredible!
Shannon Fields
CPT, FA
US Army Retired!
Bryan, TX :rolleyes: