The Wood Works Show

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

teufelhund323
Silver Member

The Wood Works Show

Post by teufelhund323 »

I just recieved my November issue of Wood magazine and there was an ad for the 2007-2008 Wood Works Show and the 07/08 show schedule. Will Shopsmith be present at these shows? Seems like a perfect opportunity to showcase the Mark V, all the SPT's/accessories, and their capabilities to a large gathering of folks interested in woodworking. They will be in my area (West Springfield MA) Jan 11-13 2008. I plan on attending, and I know quite a few other folks who will also. The schedule and other show information can be seen at http://www.woodworksevents.com.
Tim :D
Belchertown, Mass.
520/Band Saw
jgrounds
Gold Member

Post by jgrounds »

The Richmond Wood Works Show was held in Richmond, VA this past weekend. No Shopsmith in sight.

John
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

The Portland Oregon show starts tomorrow, I don't expect to see Shopsmith I have never seen them there before. This year Rockler pulled out and decided to hold 20% off everything in the store and continuos demos instead. The economics of these shows is questionable. My wife does them for her business and rarely do they even cover the cost of admission, at best they generate awareness with the hope of future sales.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

paulmcohen wrote:The Portland Oregon show starts tomorrow, I don't expect to see Shopsmith I have never seen them there before. This year Rockler pulled out and decided to hold 20% off everything in the store and continuos demos instead. The economics of these shows is questionable. My wife does them for her business and rarely do they even cover the cost of admission, at best they generate awareness with the hope of future sales.
Paul
Interesting comment about the poor sells. In Tampa the booths that carry merchandise seem to nearly sell out, of course I don't know how the "order taker" booths do.
I will say I don't think SS would do very well there. Most of the guys that attend these things are anti-Shopsmith. If it isn't a new gimick or weigh a ton with massive cast iron parts or if it doesn't equal or surpass what "Norm" has it isn't going to appeal to the average Woodworking tools show guy in Tampa.
Gampa
Gold Member

Post by Gampa »

I have to agree with Ed in Tampa. I attended the show in the Seattle area last year and one of the Kreg demonstrators asked the crowd if anyone had a SS and mine was the only hand. I don't think anyone but me even knew what a SS was. I don't think however it was anti SS but more the people who attend the shows already have their shops started and are looking for accessories or other pieces that we already have in our SS.:)
Enjoy a little sawdust therapy

Walt
520, Joiner, band saw, Planer, Dust Collector, 6: Belt Sander, OPR, Scroll Saw