Scroll saw

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Scroll Saw

Post by dusty »

Yes, you can buy better. That is almost always true, no matter what the discussion is about.

I have had my SS scroll saw for a long time and I have broken many blades using it. The SS blades may not be the best. As stated earlier, you can always get something better. I like my scroll saw. I particularly like the large table. Yes, others have large tables.

Bottom line. If you like it, it's great, if you don't - you should get something else. If I had to buy another, the SS would again get serious consideration.
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Several years ago, at the Woodworker's Show in Tampa, I bought a Hegner scroll saw. At that time this was a top "brand name."

As it turned out, it did not have variable speed. Almost all blades would break within seconds of operation, and they were a pain to replace and tension. I was also repairing my boat at that time and needed to cut some sheet plastic to cover the engine controls. the high speed melted the plastic and welded the cut as I went along.

The Hegner eventually wended it's way to a far corner of my shop and gathered dust. I gave it to my son and he has done the same thing with this useless tool.

Frankly I haven't been too impressed with the cheap scroll saws that I've seen at Lowes and Home Depot. I'm not going to be tempted to buy another scroll saw to be disappointed with.

Therefore, when Shopsmith had their "buy two - get one free" sale a few weeks back I ordered a scroll saw and a power station. Could I find a better scroll saw? Yeah, I probably could, but I'm confident that Shopsmith's scroll saw will perform adequately and the service and back-up is unmatched.

Shopsmith must be doing OK with their scroll saw sales. They are presently on deep back order.