phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Sometimes a 4-Inch Drum Sander is just the ticket

#254879 by nuhobby » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:08 pm

And you probably have one! Strip sander, that is...

I was refurbishing a very old cross-peen / riveting / tinsmith hammer. The new hickory handle is very taut, and has a nice curve faired-in with the help of the strip sander:

4 Inch Drum Sander.JPG
4 Inch Drum Sander.JPG (98.44 KiB) Viewed 8320 times

Old Hammer New Handle.JPG
Old Hammer New Handle.JPG (140.4 KiB) Viewed 8320 times

Happy woodworking!

Chris

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Nicely done! :)

Now why is fairing desirable? :confused:

---

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10E(SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange

Re: Sometimes a 4-Inch Drum Sander is just the ticket

#254882 by jsburger » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:50 pm

JPG wrote:Nicely done! :)

Elegance and esthetics. That was important back in the old days. I remember the old days (not too old :eek: ) as I am sure you do. :D :D

---

John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT

#254883 by ChrisNeilan » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:19 pm

jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:Nicely done! :)

Elegance and esthetics. That was important back in the old days. I remember the old days (not too old :eek: ) as I am sure you do. :D :D

Plus 1 :)

---

Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe

I unnerstan the reason for fairing on a boat hull, but a hammer handle? :rolleyes:

---

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10E(SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange

#254886 by nuhobby » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:55 am

The taper in the handle feels "right" for how some hammers get used. Sometimes the operator wants to "choke up" toward the head for a bit more control (and less power), so a narrower section helps with that.

The other cool thing is having a smooth, oil finish. Typical thick factory varnish can be abrasive to the hands.

If you haven't put a new handle on a hammer, I recommend trying it! It's really satisfying, particularly if the factory handle has come loose some.

Chris

#254929 by chapmanruss » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:28 am

Chris said
If you haven't put a new handle on a hammer, I recommend trying it! It's really satisfying, particularly if the factory handle has come loose some.
It's also a great way to save an old hammer head you may not be able to replace with a new one.

---

Russ

Mark V 520 S/N 09-11-01 completely upgraded to Mark 7, with all SPT's & more.
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ Shopsmith metal ends & retractable casters. Has Speed Changer, Model 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E S/N 1077 oldest one I have restored. On bench w/ Shopsmith metal ends & retractable casters.