phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

35 posts 1 2 3 4

#2921 by john » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:54 pm

8iowa:

I have already started laying the groundwork for a trip to Dayton with "The Boss". My idea was to try and take in one of the Academy sessions while on a vacation. However that would not be until later in the summer but a visit to the store would certainly be part of the plan. I may have to find a way to seal my wallet though to avoid being tempted by all the toys as both funds and space are limited.

John

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Sealing the Wallet

#2925 by a1gutterman » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:33 am

John,
If you figure a way to do that please let the rest of us know how you did it. I know that when I recently attended a Traveling Academy, Rick Davis successfully sold me on a lot of new tools:eek: . And with the freebies that are available, I just kept putting more items on the list:mad: .

---

Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.

#3139 by john » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:45 pm

Hi folks:

The Canadian distributor has come back with a price of $500 Cdn for the
DC3300 which is about in line for the current promotion after adding exchange for the U.S.$. That is about double what it would cost for one of the 1hp 600-700cfm units that are available up here. I would also have to buy sight unseen as I will be in his area in a couple of weeks but he dosen't seem to have one in stock.

Now I have to make a tough decision. My heart says go with the DC3300 but my pocket book says differently. Besides the price differential is about 1/2 the cost of a SS strip sander that I also would like. Ah, decisions, decisions... does it never end? Apparently when it comes to wanting toys it doesn't.

Have fun.

John

#3149 by paulmcohen » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:08 pm

I have a large 2 HP dust collector that cost much more then the list price of the Shopsmith unit and it does a great job for the Shopsmith lathe (with 6" pipe) and my planner with 4" pipe. For collection off my Shopsmith Tablesaw and bandsaw with 2.5" ports I don't get the airflow I want and I usually us my Sears vacuum which is not designed as a dust collection and clogs quickly. The Shopsmith collector seems to me to be more of a vacuum on steriods and seems better designed to work with 2.5" hose.

Maybe someone here could explain the difference between a vacuum and a dust collector.

This is my third large dust collector and none of them worked well with 2 1/2" hose so I don't think it is a problem with the collectors.

#3153 by charlese » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:31 pm

As I understand it, a vacuum cleaner (shop vac) has a large static pull, but not necessarily a large quantity of air movement (CFM - cubic feet / minute). A vacuum usually has the filter located between the fan and the suction hose while a dust collector has the filter after the fan. Don't know how the "Dyson" works. Looks to me, as a series of cyclones to settle the dust prior to the filtering.

There is a discussion of dust collectors somewhere in the SS web site. I think it is listed withe the promo for the 3300.

---

Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA