Warning: Before using the drill press, read and understand these important safety instructions:
Danger Zone — The danger zone on the Mark 7 and Mark V in the drilling mode extends 3″ all around the bit and chuck and 5″ beneath the bit. The reason for the extended danger zone beneath the bit is that the quill moves the bit in that direction. Always keep your fingers and hands out of the danger zone.
When you work at the drill press, pay attention to where you put your hands. Be certain they aren’t beneath the bit when you advance the quill. Never reach in toward the bit or beneath it to clear away scraps. Turn off the machine and let it come to a complete stop first.
- Always wear proper eye and ear protection.
- NEVER leave the key in the chuck. Remove the key from the chuck IMMEDIATELY after securing the bit.
- Always use the proper drill bit for the operation you are performing.
- Never wear jewelry, gloves, ties, loose clothing or clothing with long sleeves. Keep long hair tucked under a hat. Jewelry, gloves, ties, clothing and hair could become entangled in the bit.
- Position the worktable at mid-chest whenever possible.
- Use the rip fence as a backstop and hold the stock firmly against both the worktable and the fence. If you can’t use the rip tence, use tile miter gauge or clamp the stock to the worktable.
- Use only accessories and bits designed to be mounted in power drills.
- Never drill or bore metal or plastic freehand. Always clamp it to the worktable and back-up stock, or the rip fence and backup stock.