speed reducer on band saw

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

farley
Platinum Member

speed reducer on band saw

Post by farley »

according to "ask smitty" on the SS--you can't use the reducer--according to a video by Nick you can??

Using Shopsmith’s Speed Reducer with our Special Purpose Tools

My question has to do with Shopsmith’s Speed Reducer and whether or not it can be adapted for use with the Shopsmith Bandsaw. I have a source for 72” metal-cutting Bandsaw blades but the Shopsmith Bandsaw runs too fast for them. Can the Speed Reducer be used to slow down the Shopsmith Bandsaw?

I’m sorry to report that the Speed Reducer cannot be used with any of Shopsmith’s Special Purpose Tools. That’s because the Reducer is engineered to run in only one direction…and using it on the auxiliary spindle of your MARK V will cause it to run in the wrong direction.
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

Not sure what you are saying, farley, but the speed reducer can be used with the Shopsmith bandsaw to slow it down (refer to page 16 of the speed reducer manual).
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
farley
Platinum Member

Post by farley »

What I am say is "smitty" on the SS site says the speed reducer CANNOT be used on the bandsaw. I copied the quote from the SS page.
polycarp
Gold Member

Post by polycarp »

Check out page 1 of the band saw manual. It says the speed reducer does work. Here is a link to the manual:http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/manuals/845539.pdf
Mike
SS 500 upgraded to 520, SS 500 soon to be a shorty, Jig Saw, CI Band saw, 4 " Jointer, Dewalt 12" sliding compound Mitre Saw, etc.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I so do wish that we could pull up any and all of the manuals like that. Why just that one?

Please tell me that I am a dumb sh** and that all of them are available if I would just learn how.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dstensland
Gold Member

Post by dstensland »

Smitty was wrong. You can do it. Shopsmith should probably remove Smitty's statement which conflicts with other manuals, video demonstrations, and what others here are saying. It reads...

[INDENT] "Using Shopsmith’s Speed Reducer with our Special Purpose Tools

From C.A.G.
(e-mail question -- city/state unknown)

My question has to do with Shopsmith’s Speed Reducer and whether or not it can be adapted for use with the Shopsmith Bandsaw. I have a source for 72” metal-cutting Bandsaw blades but the Shopsmith Bandsaw runs too fast for them. Can the Speed Reducer be used to slow down the Shopsmith Bandsaw?

I’m sorry to report that the Speed Reducer cannot be used with any of Shopsmith’s Special Purpose Tools. That’s because the Reducer is engineered to run in only one direction…and using it on the auxiliary spindle of your MARK V will cause it to run in the wrong direction."[/INDENT]

Shopsmith's Hands Online! posted a YouTube video where Nick Engler clearly shows how to use the speed reducer with the bandsaw... Shopsmith's Handson Online - Band Saw Speed Reducer.
charlese
Platinum Member

Shopsmith says use the Speed Reducer with the Bandsaw - Smitty says NO!

Post by charlese »

I use the speed reducer for many cuttings on the bandsaw. The reason I use it is to cut down on vibrations the bandsaw sets up with my PowerPro.

Shucks, I really abuse the speed reducer! I run the headstock at 6000 RPM. and may run it for an hour at a time.

Yes, I run it from the auxiliary spindle.

SMITY IS WRONG!!!!!!!

In fact, Shopsmith recommends using the Speed Reducer with the bandsaw.
Here is a quote from the Shopsmith bandsaw manual at the bottom of page 28.

"The optional Shopsmith Speed Reducer (Part
No. 555428) is an excellent accessory to use
with the Bandsaw when the Mark V is the
power source. The Speed Reducer allows the
Mark V to power the Bandsaw at speed as low
as 100 rpm. Slower speeds are best for cutting
many plastics and metals."
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I do not think Smitty thought of reversing the coupler and hub etc. and was referring to that as being non-reversible.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
fitzhugh
Gold Member

Post by fitzhugh »

JPG40504 wrote:I do not think Smitty thought of reversing the coupler and hub etc. and was referring to that as being non-reversible.
I'm afraid I don't understand, but I have a feeling this is something I'll regret not knowing sometime. Can you explain?
Greenie (no serial #), 82 Mark V 500 serial #128648, ci bandsaw, old jigsaw, planer. All one buy in March 2014. Magna Jointer added Nov. '14. Speed reducer, conical disk and two bearing quill upgrade.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

fitzhugh wrote:I'm afraid I don't understand, but I have a feeling this is something I'll regret not knowing sometime. Can you explain?
Watch what Nick did. He moved the coupler that normally goes on to the quill shaft from the 'input' shaft to the 'output' shaft and the hub to the input shaft. Then mounted the SR reversed on the left side between the headstock and the bandsaw. The SR is rotating in the opposite direction as before.

Smitty seems to have been concerned with the hub/connector and did not consider reversing them as Nick did.

The SR consists of belts and pulleys so bi-direction is possible.

Smitty just plain did not make sense(poor choice of words). ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange