Shopsmith Safety Grip (505625)

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I have just removed the Safety Grip (505625) from my Incra V120
Miter Gauge and reattached it to the Shopsmith Miter Gauge (505700).

I did this because it seemed to be that the Safety Grip was much looser, on the Miter Gauge, than it had been. I was actually attempting to get the wobble out of the Safety Grip (not necessarily swap it back).

Because I could not find a way to "firm up" this assembly, I decided to mount it back on the Shopsmith Miter Gauge. Done. It fits there like I think it should and it is not wobbly.

QUESTION (for those with a V120 equipped with the Safety Grip): Does the Safety Grip mount firmly to your V120 Miter Gauge with minimal side-to-side wobble of the Grip.

[ATTACH]25389[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25390[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Miter Gauge by Incra with Shopsmith Safety Grip.jpg
Miter Gauge by Incra with Shopsmith Safety Grip.jpg (91.45 KiB) Viewed 13327 times
Miter Gauge 004.JPG
Miter Gauge 004.JPG (119.16 KiB) Viewed 13326 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
polycarp
Gold Member

Post by polycarp »

Dusty,
I recently bought the Incra miter gauge and I assume it's not changed from the one you have if you've had yours a while. My trigger grip fits on it as well as it did on the Shopsmith gauge. That is to saw very solidly affixed with no discern able movement or wobble. It hasn't had much use yet so I don't know if wobble will eventually be introduced or not. Hopefully not!
Mike
SS 500 upgraded to 520, SS 500 soon to be a shorty, Jig Saw, CI Band saw, 4 " Jointer, Dewalt 12" sliding compound Mitre Saw, etc.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

polycarp wrote:Dusty,
I recently bought the Incra miter gauge and I assume it's not changed from the one you have if you've had yours a while. My trigger grip fits on it as well as it did on the Shopsmith gauge. That is to saw very solidly affixed with no discern able movement or wobble. It hasn't had much use yet so I don't know if wobble will eventually be introduced or not. Hopefully not!

Thank you for the comments. I am at a lose to explain why, but my Safety Grip is not near as stable on the Incra as it was/is on the Shopsmith Miter Gauge.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Define wobble. Bottom end of the grip side to side? Vertical post moves. Mounting block moves?

If the first, I have that on some miter gauges. I attribute it to dimensional differences between the grip and the mount. I do not consider it a significant problem as far as gripping the work piece is concerned.

If either(or both) of the other two, the problem has more significance.

So what is moving as it 'wobbles'?

FWIW the top of the mounting post is a very sloppy fit to the two grip halves.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

Dusty,
Would you be able to define the wobble as yaw, pitch and/ or roll presuming the miter bar is the X axis? That might help determine if the wobble is caused by connection points of the safety handle versus stabilization or lack there of at the V120 to the table or grip. (Okay that makes sense to me but does it to anyone else??:confused: )

I remember watching as a friend complained about the Shopsmith miter gauge rocking side to side until I pointed out the adjustable glides on the bottom. I have the 1000SE in the miter express. not the V120, but I don't remember anything on the bottom that could compensate.

Could the front attachment post be the difference? Into a large piece on the SS versus a small blocked screwed to a much thinner plate on the v120?

So, no, I have no real good ideas, just more questions. But it's been a good way to get the gray matter working this morning.

Be well,
Ben
wrmnfzy
Platinum Member

Mine too

Post by wrmnfzy »

benush26 wrote:Dusty,
Would you be able to define the wobble as yaw, pitch and/ or roll presuming the miter bar is the X axis? That might help determine if the wobble is caused by connection points of the safety handle versus stabilization or lack there of at the V120 to the table or grip. (Okay that makes sense to me but does it to anyone else??:confused: )

I remember watching as a friend complained about the Shopsmith miter gauge rocking side to side until I pointed out the adjustable glides on the bottom. I have the 1000SE in the miter express. not the V120, but I don't remember anything on the bottom that could compensate.

Could the front attachment post be the difference? Into a large piece on the SS versus a small blocked screwed to a much thinner plate on the v120?

So, no, I have no real good ideas, just more questions. But it's been a good way to get the gray matter working this morning.

Be well,
Ben

Mine moves side to side also, it appears the machine screw at the rear base of the grip being smaller in diameter than the hole is the problem. I can't find any way to tighten it away.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I think Dusty has a good understanding of roll, pitch, yaw.;)

Question is, what is rolling, pitching, yawing?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

Mine wobbles, too. Close to 1/8" in either direction sideways at the base of the handle where the heel of your hand would rest. The block that connects the handle to the Shopsmith miter gauge is held by two screws, and cannot pivot. The block on the Incra is only held by one srew and can pivot freely, introducing the wobble.

Mike
polycarp
Gold Member

Post by polycarp »

Mike,

Do you find that to be the case with both of the mitre gauge lock down knobs tight? I can induce a slight wobble in mine but only with those knobs loose. Once those are tightened the whole mechanism is rock solid with no wobble at all.
Mike
SS 500 upgraded to 520, SS 500 soon to be a shorty, Jig Saw, CI Band saw, 4 " Jointer, Dewalt 12" sliding compound Mitre Saw, etc.
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

I guess I might wonder if the "slop" is a design factor to keep parts from binding when the grip is squeezed?

How much of the slop is disconcerting versus dangerous? Is is plausible to try and reduce the slob or gaps with shims or larger diameter fasteners without redrilling or tapping? OR is it worth the time and effort to try?