Shopsmith Safety Grip (505625)

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I should have done a video before I reconfigured.

I take a step back and do that. I would say that it is like a roll back and forth.

The only thing that is really stable is that forward post.

The two aluminum blocks (Incra conversion parts) are the only things not involved when configured for the Shopsmith. The Shopsmith configuration is stable.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I gotta say Dusty, your pix have improved!!!!:cool::)

P.S. add a shim washer to the grip base screw.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG40504 wrote:I gotta say Dusty, your pix have improved!!!!:cool::)

P.S. add a shim washer to the grip base screw.

Thank you for the kind words but the credit must all be the Administrators'. I haven't done anything different other than take advantage of the larger size.

Well, maybe that is not true. I now try to take pictures either before the sun gets real bright (in the morning) or not until after the sun strikes my garage from the west. Proper lighting has always been critical but I have not always been aware of what was proper.

BTW - That first picture (this thread) is not mine at all. That is a Shopsmith catalog image.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:Thank you for the kind words but the credit must all be the Administrators'. I haven't done anything different other than take advantage of the larger size.

Well, maybe that is not true. I now try to take pictures either before the sun gets real bright (in the morning) or not until after the sun strikes my garage from the west. Proper lighting has always been critical but I have not always been aware of what was proper.

BTW - That first picture (this thread) is not mine at all. That is a Shopsmith catalog image.
The second pix still looks better!:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

wrmnfzy wrote:Mine moves side to side also, it appears the machine screw at the rear base of the grip being smaller in diameter than the hole is the problem. I can't find any way to tighten it away.

You have, in my opinion, pegged the source of what I consider a problem. That machine screw secures the grip to the rear base and when mounted on the V120 the grip is loose.

I added a flat washer between the grip and the Incra aluminum block. The unwanted wobble is gone.

The proper fix would be to mill that small aluminum block for a more snug fit in the grip.

These two links to utube videos show the before and after for this "annoyance". I have returned to using my V120 as the "go-to" miter gauge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUerFJEDWXs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5n-mczqrFE

This small aluminum block (part of the Incra conversion kit) is, in my opinion, the root cause of this annoyance. The proper fix would be to mill this block just a bit wider than it is. Since I cannot do that, I have added a flat washer between this block the the handle of the Safety Grip. Having done that, I shall return to using the Incra Miter Gauge with the Shopsmith Safety Grip as my go to miter gauge.

[ATTACH]25396[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Miter Gauge Safety Grip Remount 005.JPG
Miter Gauge Safety Grip Remount 005.JPG (100.67 KiB) Viewed 3801 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
wrmnfzy
Platinum Member

One or two

Post by wrmnfzy »

I see two washers in photo, did you use one on each side?
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

wrmnfzy wrote:I see two washers in photo, did you use one on each side?

No. I wanted to but there was not enough room.

The right way would probably be to get two thinner washer and do just that.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

dusty wrote: I added a flat washer between the grip and the Incra aluminum block. The unwanted wobble is gone.

The proper fix would be to mill that small aluminum block for a more snug fit in the grip.

This small aluminum block (part of the Incra conversion kit) is, in my opinion, the root cause of this annoyance. The proper fix would be to mill this block just a bit wider than it is. Since I cannot do that, I have added a flat washer between this block the the handle of the Safety Grip. Having done that, I shall return to using the Incra Miter Gauge with the Shopsmith Safety Grip as my go to miter gauge.
I wonder if an e-mail explaining the problem and proposed fix to Incra would go anywhere? I would like to think they would welcome and respond to such feedback, at least in regard to redesigning the attachment in the future (?)
'78 Mark V 500 #27995 (my Dad bought new)
'82 Mark V 500 #96309
Two '47 10E's (serial#4314+6149) - one a dedicated drill press and the other a lathe
Two 10E/ER in parts slowly being restored…#26822 and #????? (SS plate missing)
SPT's: Bandsaw, Belt Sander, Strip Sander, Jointer, Jigsaw, Biscuit Joiner
polycarp
Gold Member

Post by polycarp »

I wonder if they have in fact already addressed this issue. The one I recently purchased really has no wobble and the fit of the handle to block is very tight. I can make it barely wobble the slightest amount by trying really hard when the two angle setting knobs are loose but even then it is hardly noticeable and you can't use the gauge in that condition anyway. I only noticed it when I tried hard to make it wobble to answer Dusty's question when he first posed it. It is possible I got a good one and that their tolerances allow for others to be less tight. In any case mine works as well as the Shopsmith version miter gauge.
Mike
SS 500 upgraded to 520, SS 500 soon to be a shorty, Jig Saw, CI Band saw, 4 " Jointer, Dewalt 12" sliding compound Mitre Saw, etc.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

polycarp wrote:I wonder if they have in fact already addressed this issue. The one I recently purchased really has no wobble and the fit of the handle to block is very tight. I can make it barely wobble the slightest amount by trying really hard when the two angle setting knobs are loose but even then it is hardly noticeable and you can't use the gauge in that condition anyway. I only noticed it when I tried hard to make it wobble to answer Dusty's question when he first posed it. It is possible I got a good one and that their tolerances allow for others to be less tight. In any case mine works as well as the Shopsmith version miter gauge.

I don't doubt that some fit better than others simply because we are talking about generations of hardware.

The aluminum block, however, measures within a thousandths of being the same size on the Incra and the Shopsmith Miter Gauge. I can not explain that.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty