Shopsmith Safety Grip (505625)

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

dgale wrote:I wonder if an e-mail explaining the problem and proposed fix to Incra would go anywhere? I would like to think they would welcome and respond to such feedback, at least in regard to redesigning the attachment in the future (?)

Universal Compatibility becomes that obstacle. Many, many Safety Grips have been manufactured. The Incra V120 "conversion kit" is expected to be compatible to all of those. That being the case, the fit ust allow for some "slop".

As a side comment: I looked for a kit that would allow me to mount a Safety Grip on an Incra Miter Gauge and I am unable to locate it.

While looking, I found this note in the Incra Documentation:

Shopsmith Safety Grip Note: This model is NOT compatible with the Shopsmith Safety Grip handle. The V120 must be ordered directly from Shopsmith to be compatible with their Safety Grip.

In the online documentation I found this related comment:The Shopsmith Edition Incra Miter v120 kit has a miter bar designed to fit your Shopsmith Mark V. To the standard Incra Miter v120 we've added an adapter that lets you attach your existing Shopsmith Miter Gauge Safety Grip to the gauge for added safety and control.

I purchased my V120 (Shopsmith compatible) from Shopsmith in September of 2009. There is no mention of an adapter kit in my documentation so I assume it was part of the hardware provided by Incra to Shopsmith.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
polycarp
Gold Member

Post by polycarp »

Well I'm just glad you found a quick and simple fix so that the system is useful to you again and meets with your expectations. Way to go! :)
Mike
SS 500 upgraded to 520, SS 500 soon to be a shorty, Jig Saw, CI Band saw, 4 " Jointer, Dewalt 12" sliding compound Mitre Saw, etc.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:I don't doubt that some fit better than others simply because we are talking about generations of hardware.

The aluminum block, however, measures within a thousandths of being the same size on the Incra and the Shopsmith Miter Gauge. I can not explain that.

How about the size of the through hole for the screw?

All grips that I have are a sloppy fit to the sides there. I have added a shim to a couple.

The larger hole in the incra would allow roll into the slop.

The grip halves being apparent cast parts were not I believe intended to be a snug fit. The top of the post fit is also sloppy. However when squeezed, the slop gets compressed, but the roll slop will not. A sleeve would help.

BUT! I do not think there is sufficient consistency through the past half century for incra to make that hole smaller and assure all would fit.

Y'all do recall the hole mis-alignment issue awhile back!:rolleyes:

Glad ya got it tolerable!!!:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
lightnin
Platinum Member

Post by lightnin »

Well I had to go check mine ....It has almost no play in it at all. I have had it about a year now.
I remember that during assembly I had to disassemble it and start over...
uhhh I don't remember exactly why but something seemed wrong so I went back and started over.
What I do remember was that awh I shudda seen that coming feeling.
Bruce

I didn't know what a Shopsmith was...
Three days later I owned one...
One week later I was rebuilding one...
Four months later I owned two....
Ok Ok, I'm up to four now...
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

lightnin wrote:Well I had to go check mine ....It has almost no play in it at all. I have had it about a year now.
I remember that during assembly I had to disassemble it and start over...
uhhh I don't remember exactly why but something seemed wrong so I went back and started over.
What I do remember was that awh I shudda seen that coming feeling.

My senses are sorta dull when it comes to that sort of thing. I just plow on until I can't plow anymore and then I stop and figure out why.

I took it all apart again, to take some measurements and do some sketches, so when I put it back together (for the last time, I hope) I'll watch for signs that I might be doing something wrong.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
lightnin
Platinum Member

Post by lightnin »

dusty wrote:My senses are sorta dull when it comes to that sort of thing. I just plow on until I can't plow anymore and then I stop and figure out why.
Oh my plow was stuck all right....

Mine, about a year old is plenty tight and has no room for washers.
Perhaps Incra has addressed this.

[ATTACH]25398[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25399[/ATTACH]
Attachments
a.jpg
a.jpg (377.61 KiB) Viewed 4361 times
b.jpg
b.jpg (381.49 KiB) Viewed 4360 times
Bruce

I didn't know what a Shopsmith was...
Three days later I owned one...
One week later I was rebuilding one...
Four months later I owned two....
Ok Ok, I'm up to four now...
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I've got some video uploading, slow upload dsl so it will take a while but I'll let you know when they can be looked at.

I have very little slop and it is all in the mounting of the lower block. Looking at it I'd say it was designed that way and I see no out standing problem at all.

Now vintage of the parts involved might be an issue that I'm not seeing with the hardware I have.

Anyway I got to get back to my project now but I'll be back to see the progress of the thread and the process of my video's.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

First video show the "slop" in that attachment point.

http://youtu.be/BjLQPoR9UmM

The second video is when things are back together. Looks and works fine as far as I am concerned.

http://youtu.be/gtDprb1G8xM

Ed
wrmnfzy
Platinum Member

Post by wrmnfzy »

Mine purchased from SS in last 6 months and has slop.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

What I also notice wiggling in the videos is the post relative to it's block.

I feel there should be no movement there unless the threads are sloppy, but tightening the post should take that out.:confused:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange