Shopsmith Saw Arbor Set Screw (222458)

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

The Shopsmith Saw Arbor should be out fitted with a 1/4" flat point set screw (222458).

If a longer set screw is used, does this increase the propensity for the set screw to work loose?

I so wish that questions like this could be directed to the engineering staff at Shopsmith.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
polycarp
Gold Member

Post by polycarp »

I can't answer that question with any certainty but i wonder how safe it would be using a longer set screw there?
Mike
SS 500 upgraded to 520, SS 500 soon to be a shorty, Jig Saw, CI Band saw, 4 " Jointer, Dewalt 12" sliding compound Mitre Saw, etc.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

One thing I am certain of is that the excess length outside the arbor threads do nothing to help.;)

However you would be assured of having as much as possible in thar.

As mentioned it would be prudent to have as little as possible protruding.

As a 'suggestion', grind one too long so it sits flush to minimally proud. The miter gauge with the SS tool kit in the stop gauge holes makes a good jig for grinding a square end against a sanding disk.

No I do not want to get into a discussion re the shaft taper here!:D But if that is bothersome(love that 'medical' term[them folks are the only ones I have heard use it]), grind with the miter gauge set to that angle and rotate the tool kit.:rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Let me repeat the question.

If a longer set screw is used (as an arbor set screw), does this increase the propensity for the set screw to work loose?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

I thought your question was answered! Do you have the answer? Was this a trick question?
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:Let me repeat the question.

If a longer set screw is used (as an arbor set screw), does this increase the propensity for the set screw to work loose?

OK! Guilty! Missed 'increase'! Since your previous concerns re set screw involved retention, I totally missed that subtle directional alteration!

Only thing I can come up with is, it depends upon what it snags on. I do not think flying in the breeze will cause it to work loose. I do not think increased centrifugal force due to increased mass will either. Increased mass may alter any sympathetic vibration, but that is pretty far fetched.

Nor do I think it will help other than that already stated above.;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

OK, I'll answer.
No.
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
polycarp
Gold Member

Post by polycarp »

Is this just a matter of curiosity or is there a problem needing to be solved with the arbor?
Mike
SS 500 upgraded to 520, SS 500 soon to be a shorty, Jig Saw, CI Band saw, 4 " Jointer, Dewalt 12" sliding compound Mitre Saw, etc.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

polycarp wrote:Is this just a matter of curiosity or is there a problem needing to be solved with the arbor?

Only the sha . . er . . ah . . Dusty knows!

Dusty has gone broke replacing saw arbor screws.

No that is not snarky, just bending the truth slightly!;)

He and I differ greatly as to the significance of this. I have yet to replace a set screw because it worked loose.:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

charlese wrote:I thought your question was answered! Do you have the answer? Was this a trick question?
If my question was answered, I missed it. What is the answer?

No, this is not a trick question. It is a real honest to goodness question.

If a longer set screw is used, does this increase the propensity for the set screw to work loose?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty