Table Tubes vs Trunnion Pivot Point

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

dusty wrote:
When I built my outfeed table (all previous versions), I used the vertical support tubes for the reference. Whenever I tilt the tables I experience the moving trailing edge of the outfeed table.

Dusty, I was just going through the Hands on Line videos and found this one
SS120--Ripping Bevels with a Tilted Table where Nick and Drew show how to modify the outfeed table to correct the geometry so it stays true with the main table when tilting. Looks like a simple fix. Also includes other improvements that can be made to the outfeed table.

Edit That link is now broken, this one will work Ripping Bevels with an Outfeed Table
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Interesting.
Dusty says the piviot offset is 5/8" but in the video Nick says they moved the piviot 1 1/2" on the outfeed table to keep everything in alignment.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Interesting.
Dusty says the piviot offset is 5/8" but in the video Nick says they moved the piviot 1 1/2" on the outfeed table to keep everything in alignment.
Nick and I both made adjustments to correct for errors that each of us made but we had not made the same error. Therefore our corrections were different.

We were both attempting to create a pivot point that was in the same vertical plane as the Main Table pivot point. I did not get there and I don't know if Nick did. I cannot tell by watching the videos.

My 5/8" difference seems to cause about a 3/4" sag at the outfeed tables' edge when I tilt the Main Table. I have incorporated a fix that in effect lengthens the diagonal table support leg.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Interesting.
Not an apples to apples comparison. Nicks pivot was held between two threaded inserts. Nick moved the outboard insert in the stock table to become the inboard insert if you will.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

fjimp wrote:Hey at least you Can scratch your head. I was told yesterday I have six more weeks before I am allowed that much movement in my right arm. Jim
So move your head!

;-)
Mark V 520, Power-Pro!; Speed Reducer; B/S; Jointer; ShopMate DCS; SS Tenon Master; Rip-Strate; Incra; BCTW; DW734; var. SS sanding systems; Wood River;
shaun
Gold Member

Blast! URL no longer works

Post by shaun »

rpd wrote:Dusty, I was just going through the Hands on Line videos and found this one
[url=http://[color="Blue]blip.tv[/color]/hands-online/ss120-ripping-bevels-with-a-tilted-table-966396"]SS120--Ripping Bevels with a Tilted Table[/url] where Nick and Drew show how to modify the outfeed table to correct the geometry so it stays true with the main table when tilting. Looks like a simple fix. Also includes other improvements that can be made to the outfeed table.
RonD, I hope you can think of another source for that vid. Blip no longer hosts that, and I can't find it in ShopsmithHandsOnline vids on YouTube.

I have been reading up on the OFT adventure/experiment and now I'm eager to join the crowd of happy outfeeders... but if I can make only one version, and can avoid the canting at extreme angles, I'd be happier. (Sort of similar to the reasoning behind no longer buying green bananas.)

Cheers!
-Shaun-
Mk V w/Bandsaw - rough, missing lots of pieces but works
Mk V 520 PowerPro System w/Bandsaw; Scrollsaw; Router/Shaper; Universal Lathe Tool rest
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

After much head scratching and wasted time on tangents, it was determined that a simple detail eliminates all canting.

Make sure the outfeed table pivot aligns with the main table pivots. Then they tilt harmoniously.

When that is done, the location of the lower end of a support arm becomes irrelevant.

The table tops must be in the same plane as well.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

shaun wrote:RonD, I hope you can think of another source for that vid. Blip no longer hosts that, and I can't find it in ShopsmithHandsOnline vids on YouTube.

Cheers!
-Shaun-

Here is a current link
SS120 Ripping Bevels

I have also updated the original post.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

rpd wrote:
Edit That link is now broken, this one will work Ripping Bevels with an Outfeed Table
Shaun did ya try this one?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
shaun
Gold Member

Post by shaun »

rpd wrote:Here is a current link
I have also updated the original post.
Great! a HUGE thank you.

Regards,
-Shaun-
Mk V w/Bandsaw - rough, missing lots of pieces but works
Mk V 520 PowerPro System w/Bandsaw; Scrollsaw; Router/Shaper; Universal Lathe Tool rest