A Slow Boat To Nowhere

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

beautiful!
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

That is breathtaking! Instead of putting it in winter storage, bring it to me, we can paddle our lake all year round!!! :D

Seriously, that is a fabulous job. You must be really thrilled!

Dick
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Appreciate all the kind words. I really like the way it looks so far but there is so much left to be done it is a bit overwhelming some days. I really wanted to launch it this fall but it looks like the aptly named Slow Boat won't be ready until next spring.
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

Looking good Al.

Don't worry about the 'glass being slightly visible. It's not something anyone is likely to notice and once you start using the canoe the appearance will be far less "important" than it is to you now when all you have to look at is the surface.

Once it's right side up and all trimmed out with pretty seats and gunwales and sitting like a little duck on a glassy lake .......... nobody, but nobody is going to be looking for 'glass pattern.

Sure is pretty wood. Well done.
Paul M ........ The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

shipwright wrote:Looking good Al.

Don't worry about the 'glass being slightly visible. It's not something anyone is likely to notice and once you start using the canoe the appearance will be far less "important" than it is to you now when all you have to look at is the surface.

Once it's right side up and all trimmed out with pretty seats and gunwales and sitting like a little duck on a glassy lake .......... nobody, but nobody is going to be looking for 'glass pattern.

Sure is pretty wood. Well done.

Good points, Paul. You should change your forum name to "The Boat Whisperer."

By the way, the wood is all Western Red Cedar. Sure has an amazing variety of colors and grain patterns for a single species.
newportcycle
Gold Member

Post by newportcycle »

algale wrote:We must have been bitten by the same bug! I'm day dreaming about building a sailboat even while I'm working on the Slow Boat. Have you heard about a design called SCAMP (Small Craft Advisory Magazine Project)? http://smallcraftadvisor.com/scamppagemenu It it a little less traditional looking than the designs you looking at, in fact it has a pram front, and is only 11'11'' long but by all accounts it is a seaworthy little boat and handles very well.
I've seen this boat, interesting looking vessel. Good luck, with the craftsmanship you've dispalyed here it will be a huge success.
lightnin
Platinum Member

Post by lightnin »

Very nice, very nice indeed.
Bruce

I didn't know what a Shopsmith was...
Three days later I owned one...
One week later I was rebuilding one...
Four months later I owned two....
Ok Ok, I'm up to four now...
algale
Platinum Member

Outer Fiberglass Wet Out

Post by algale »

Yesterday my wife and I applied the outer fiberglass and wet it out with epoxy. This consisted of a football shaped piece over the bottom (basically extending to the dark strips you see in the pic) and a full layer over that. We heated up the sun room to almost 80 degrees to make sure the epoxy would be thin.

I started mixing and we both started out applying it with squeegees (like you would use for applying auto-body filler). It rapidly became clear that we needed one person just to mix and another to apply. Since my wife was demonstrating much greater skill at using the squeegee, we decided I would continue mix and she would squeegee. She attributed her squeegee prowess to her experience icing cakes and smoothing out wrinkles on bed sheets.:D

The goal was to wet out the fabric until it was transparent but not float it. You are supposed to see the weave when you are done. The weave gets filled and then covered in the next two coats of epoxy.

It all went pretty well except around the stems and a couple of spots along the shearline. At the stems, the instructions called for making a slit and bringing about two inches of excess fabric around each side. This became a mess so we just wet the fabric out straight to the ends. This morning I cut it off clean at the ends and did a little sanding to smooth it all out. The stems already have a fiberglass strip over the end (from the sealing stage) so it isn't like there's no glass there. I may add another narrow strip over the stems just to give it an extra measure of protection.

At the shearline, there are two or three spots where the fabric didn't wet out properly or pulled away from the hull as the epoxy set up. The largest of these is about an inch long by half an inch tall. I will cut/sand these out, patch them with fiberglass and move on. It should be covered by the gunwales anyway on the finished canoe.

The large white area on the bottom in the photo is a reflection.
[ATTACH]26465[/ATTACH]
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (130.18 KiB) Viewed 11131 times
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Wow - Wow - and well deserved!!!!!

Atta Girl Mrs. algale!!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
neal560sl
Gold Member

Post by neal560sl »

What an awesome job!!! I would love to be able to do a project like that, but I'm afraid my patients wouldn't hold out long enough.

Again GREAT JOB!!
Neal
Mark V 500, Mark V 500 Power Pro, SS mounted Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw, Belt Sander, Jig Saw, Nova G3, Universal Tool Rest