Lowe's of Rockford IL

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Lowe's of Rockford IL

Post by reible »

There is a Shopsmith demo here this week(July 23-25, 2015). I think I'll be going, maybe Thursday/Friday morning. Longer drive then I would like but I can do a few other things along the way so it will be worth it (I hope).

Anyone else have plans to attend?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Lowe's of Rockford IL

Post by JPG »

reible wrote:There is a Shopsmith demo here this week(July 23-25, 2015). I think I'll be going, maybe Thursday/Friday morning. Longer drive then I would like but I can do a few other things along the way so it will be worth it (I hope).

Anyone else have plans to attend?

Ed
Stay off the 'NorthWest'. ;)

Google Earth says it is now called the 'Jane Addams Memorial Tollway'.

Last time I was on it, one could not even call it a 'rolling' parking lot.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I take back roads all the way. A few stops in a couple of smaller towns for other purposes and some sight seeing and perhaps a couple of pictures. It takes longer but who cares, want to enjoy life which includes not being stuck in traffic. I'll make a day of it and visit a couple of favor spots that are not too far out of the way. I might even stop for some wood at a place I know, well we will have to see how empty my pockets are at that point.

Ed
S Brian
Gold Member

Post by S Brian »

Isn't being retired great? If it takes a little longer, who cares. There is always tomorrow to catch up - or not.
Brian
Mark V-500 Purchased New In 1980, SS Bandsaw (free), SS Jointer, SS 6x48 Belt Sander (free), SS Storage Station (free), Powermatic 64A Table Saw, Powermatic 1140F Drill Press, Delta 46-460 Midi-Lathe, Delta Scrollsaw, Bosch 12" Dual Compound Miter Saw, MLCS Router Table w/Bosch Router, Penn State dust collector.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

S Brian wrote:Isn't being retired great? If it takes a little longer, who cares. There is always tomorrow to catch up - or not.
Oh yeh!

My wife is from Sacramento by way of Mississippi. When we go to Sac she takes the free way all the time. She does take back roads to avoid the peak traffic on the free ways so I have to give her credit. Back here in Utah I drive most of the time and avoid the free ways as much as I can. Just leave a little earlier (remember retired) and get there alive.

One of my pet peeves is when someone says "I will be there at 3pm" and they don't arrive until 3:30 or later. AAARGHHH! A lot of people have no concept of time. If you were 30 minutes late for a job interview you won't get the job.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
wrmnfzy
Platinum Member

Post by wrmnfzy »

Yep, nowhere to go and all day to get there. The joy of being retired.
dlewis
Bronze Member

Post by dlewis »

I have a 10er, with which I am well-satisfied, but I just might go anyway, just to drool over the goodies.
Don Lewis
Dixon
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

reible wrote:I take back roads all the way. A few stops in a couple of smaller towns for other purposes and some sight seeing and perhaps a couple of pictures. It takes longer but who cares, want to enjoy life which includes not being stuck in traffic. I'll make a day of it and visit a couple of favor spots that are not too far out of the way. I might even stop for some wood at a place I know, well we will have to see how empty my pockets are at that point.

Ed

Sounds like my kind of road trip. :)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Good day for a road trip and it was a good day.

Got some white oak for a project and not only saved by going to a mill to get it but the owner must have been in a good mood as he gave me any extra $15 off for paying with cash so my stack of oak that was $80 I got for $65. Glad I stopped there first so I had the cash in hand.

As always we found a few new places to visit and take a few minutes to enjoy and stretch our legs with a short walk. Could have spent the whole day doing this but now that we know about these places we can always return for an extended visit.

Mike Young remembered me, not by name but hey, it has been about 2 years. He was in good form and gave a pretty good demo for a small group of us, most of which were already owners. I was the only one who had updated to the powerpro so a lot of his efforts were to get others to do the same. Had a couple of people who seemed pretty interested, don't think anyone actually did it but they might come back later.....

Met a lady who has a shopsmith, got it new in 2000 (I think she said) and has never used it. They tried to power it up and it popped a fuse. Did it several times then tried to get a friend to look at it and well it has still never run. I ran down a few things she might try but I think she has decided to sell the unit. I warned her that she might not get much $$ for it but I guess getting something out of it is better then nothing. I gave her the address to get here to the forum so maybe that will be of some help. I would have offered to check it out but I don't live close enough to make that possible.

Anyway I went ahead and order a second powerpro. His guess was about 4 weeks but he didn't seem to sure about a time frame. No problem as I'm plenty busy right now any how. I would have like to get the whole package but I'm not able to do that right now. Perhaps next year I'll get the double tilt and lift to finish the job. I don't use the double tilt that much but since it seems like it has improved the use of the fixed extension table end for end issue it will be worth it for that alone.

Bill Mayo has a (new to me) powerpro ready headstock in the mail that should arrive tomorrow so I can start some preliminary work on it before the kit arrives. He had a "C" version so this is my first exposure to that style, since I knew that I was able to supply the information to get the correct switch with the kit. I'm thinking custom colors again but what they will be is still up in the air.

Ed
lightnin
Platinum Member

Post by lightnin »

S Brian wrote:Isn't being retired great? If it takes a little longer, who cares. There is always tomorrow to catch up - or not.

A wise man once told me "Retirement isn't all they say it is........ It's even better."

I've been retired about three weeks now and so far I agree.

I'm busier then ever but doin' things I love.