Incra Miter Gauge

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

lalkie01
Gold Member

Incra Miter Gauge

Post by lalkie01 »

Has anyone purchased an Incra 1000HD and milled the miter bar to fit a shopsmith grove. It looks like you could take .008 off the one side and about .050 off the bottom. Just curious to see if it would work. Thanks Larry
algale
Platinum Member

Re: Incra Miter Gauge

Post by algale »

The miter bar would be the least of your problems. I called Incra a few years back to inquire about a Shopsmith edition 1000HD and they pointed out that the head is too big and would run into the blade. There's barely enough clearance with the v120 head.

If you want to run a 1000HD on a Shopsmith, buy a Miter Express and mount the 1000HD on that. Moves the head quite a bit further from the blade.
Last edited by algale on Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I got the miter express shopsmith edition and then added the 1000HD to that and it provides more then either one by them selves.

Not cheap. The miter express is around $160 and the 1000hd goes for $190 but from time to time I've seen sales. Yea I know I'm crazy that way but I don't think there is a better way to go for the price.

BTW the miter express excepts both shopsmith size bars and the non shopsmith incra miter gauges. So if you got the shopsmith V120 and the miter express you get a pretty good value with the ability to take the v120 off and use it by itself.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
lalkie01
Gold Member

Post by lalkie01 »

thanks for the help. It looks like I will go with something else. Possibly the miterset. it seems to short to accurately fit the shopsmith bar. most people seem pretty happy with it I am getting some pretty good results with a combination square from starrett just looking for something that is easier to use. Larry
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

If anyone does decide to go the 1000HD and miter express route here is a heads up.

I was in a Rockler store today and they have that miter gauge on sale for just $129.99! Their normal price is $199.99. Here is the online link:

http://www.rockler.com/incra-miter-1000hd-miter-gauge

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

The Kreg miter gauge has served me well. Very accurate. Nice adjustable fence and stop.
I use the Miterset for odd angles.
lalkie01
Gold Member

Post by lalkie01 »

I also contacted Incra as algale did and got the same response. You would have to purchase the sled and the miter gauge.
Are there any clearance problems with the Kreg Miter gauge. Does the stop work pretty for repeated cuts? Thanks Larry
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

The Kreg fence is adjustable to clear the blade. The stop does work well for repeated cuts.
lalkie01
Gold Member

Post by lalkie01 »

Thanks I may purchase one and mill the bar to fit my shopsmith slot, I think there is enough meat on the bar to accomplish this. Thanks Larry
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Larry, I don't think they make one to fit our slot. I bought mine several years ago and they milled it for me. If they hadn't been able to, I wouldn't have hesitated to get it milled by a machinist. It's that good. And, I don't have the capability. I assume you do, though.