Mark VII Motor Wiring Template

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

everettdavis
Platinum Member

Mark VII Motor Wiring Template

Post by everettdavis »

In the process of re-creating the 1960's Shopsmith Mark VII Operators Manual, and Illustrated Parts list, I have created a Wiring Template Form to help folks working on theirs, diagram how it is wired, before they disconnect it all.

If you own one, you will readily understand why the reversing switch appears upside down in the template.

I will likely use some resemblance of this diagram as I work to build the illustrations for the three different motors and wiring diagrams that came with these during their production life.

You can print this out and pencil in how yours is connected (wire colors etc.) One of the motors has an motor start internal relay / switch, thus the wires going to it and coming from it, go through the grommet.

I created an original drawing to demonstrate functionally how the GE 3ARR2 / 3ARR3 Motor Start Relay is configured inside.

Whether a motor start switch or motor start relay, a set of normally closed contacts, exist that connects the start windings of the motor as they power up. The Motor Start Capacitor helps give that the 'boost' it needs to get the motor rotating, then disconnects the start windings until it is powered off again.

These 1960's Mark VII had a reversible motor, and a double tilt mechanism, that allowed under table routing and other operations.

Hopefully I will have the Mark VII manual finished in a few weeks.

All the best,

Everett
Shopsmith Mark VII  Motor Wiring Template.png
Shopsmith Mark VII Motor Wiring Template.png (264.8 KiB) Viewed 5157 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Mark VII Motor Wiring Template

Post by JPG »

I believe there is a fourth version(GE motor with external start relay). I can guess the wire colors/connections. There was one posted, but the originator never returned.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: Mark VII Motor Wiring Template

Post by everettdavis »

JPG,

I will be sending everything to you for review

You are the Mark VII expert I trust

There is an A.O. Smith motor 507231 with an internal start switch, and a GE Motor 507232 motor with an internal start switch as well based on the MAGNA American published Parts List of the day.

There is an A.O. Smith motor 501210 with the external relay, and if there is a GE Motor with the external relay, which would indeed, be four motor types for the Mark VII.

From a previous conversation we had, there is also another published parts list release that has an OEM wiring diagram that was drawn incorrectly back in the 1960’s. I want to make certain I get that corrected and included.

Everett