Where do you go first for Shopsmith parts?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Where do you get your Shopsmith supplies

Shopsmith?
58%
Internet (eBay type vendors)?
24%
Other vendors?
6%
Craigslist?
13%

Total votes: 72

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Where do you go first for Shopsmith parts?

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I my survey has revealed that about half shopsmith owners 32-30 did not buy their shopsmith from Shopsmith. While I expect there is is probably a lot more info in that survey and it is still on going I have another question.

Mark all that apply.
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Where do you go first for Shopsmith parts?

Post by garys »

I buy Shopsmith parts only from Shopsmith. I don't do Ebay for anything, so that isn't an option. As long as Shopsmith sells new replacement parts, why look anywhere else?
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Shopsmith Supplies - well most likely from Shopsmith. Ace has none and the Big Box probably won't either.

Now wood working supplies and all else used in the shop is another story I buy from Lowes mostly because they are nearby, I buy a lot from ACE and I am really impressed by their new hardware section.

If you zero in on items like saw blades , chisels, straight edges we are talking about a different class of shopping.

I don't buy my dinner wine at the grocery store.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I used to buy a good bit of stuff from Shopsmith when they had the factory store. I am a couple of hours away from Dayton but a fair number of Diana's family are around the Richmond Indiana area which is only about an hour away. I also have a number of antique tractor hobby friends in west central Ohio that I used to visit fairly often. It was easy to plan trips to buy stuff. I usually bought more than I planed since they often had deals on items that didn't have enough quantity to be in a catalog. I also bought a batch of odds and ends when they had a big garage sale kind of sale to clear stuff out. I don't believe I have bought anything from them since. I did buy some extra belts etc back then.
I mostly just go to my shed for parts. :)
For stuff like bearings etc. I usually just go to a couple of bearing and seals specialty vendors in Indy. I'm only about 25 minutes out of Indy and it is one of those towns where you can buy "anything". Lots and lots of distributors.

I guess I should mention that I have no qualms about ordering from Shopsmith and if I needed something tomorrow I would order it without hesitation. I just stocked up enough small parts that I haven't needed to.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

While I almost always start on eBay, there are parts that can be purchased only from Shopsmith and I have no hesitancy supporting a American company who also supports its patrons. If the prices for a good used part on eBay is 60% or more of the new price from Shopsmith, then it is Shopsmith. Like Dusty said, the suppliers are limited.

Steve, the old swampgator
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Back when SS Inc.'s future seemed doubtful(same time as that garage sale Farmer mentioned) I got in the habit of scouring E-bay for 'potential' replacements for future breakdown(s).

I still do look, but the prices have steadily crept up towards new from the mother ship. So only if a real bargain and likely to be needed(likely to break) or a currently unavailable part(think Mark VII) will I purchase it.

Consumables, only the MS.(except 10" sanding disks[MVII again]).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

all of the above ?

Hobbyman2
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

For the things Shopsmith sells today, from them in most cases. If I help someone with a repair, I suggest they buy all OEM and I will assist them if needed.

I don't sell any parts, but have been known to trade with folks who have something I want.

For the earlier models I have a parts bin from machines I bought for that purpose, or I will PM someone here on the forum who likely may have what I need, then eBay, Craigslist.

While you cannot by a matter of policy sell things here in the forums, VintageMachinery.org is a site where things are sold occasionally, and most of the folks there are dyed in the wool owners of vintage machinery.

Everett
ecom1
Gold Member

Post by ecom1 »

I buy the "parts" from SS, but if I can find used SPT's , chisels, etc, in good shape, I would do that.
Ed

Shopsmith: 2 Mark V 510 (1988,1993), bandsaw, jointer, mounted planer, belt sander, scroll saw, strip sander, lathe duplicator, conical disc sander, biscuit joiner, free standing router table with Jointech IPM-1
Other stuff: Bosch glide mitre, Ridgid 13" planer, Rikon drill press, routers, drills, and other toys
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

Since ShopSmith Inc kicked Hans to the curb,
(or Dr Goldschmidt finally retired,) only a few
things I can get from the MotherShip. Those I
do!

But, my machines, from way back when the
Chambers brothers were around, not a lot can
I still get from Home. So, I must look elsewhere.

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.