An interesting Table Saw

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

joe_cool
Gold Member

An interesting Table Saw

Post by joe_cool »

Found this today from Fine Woodworking Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-1wZ5n3Dl4

Very interesting saw. but towards the end of the video they mention mortiser.

Wondering if anyone has thought about a device to mimic the mortiser on the shopsmith?

Joe
ecom1
Gold Member

Re: An interesting Table Saw

Post by ecom1 »

I've always liked the European multi-purpose machines - if space and budget were no object, I would consider one for my shop.
Ed

Shopsmith: 2 Mark V 510 (1988,1993), bandsaw, jointer, mounted planer, belt sander, scroll saw, strip sander, lathe duplicator, conical disc sander, biscuit joiner, free standing router table with Jointech IPM-1
Other stuff: Bosch glide mitre, Ridgid 13" planer, Rikon drill press, routers, drills, and other toys
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

ecom1 wrote:I've always liked the European multi-purpose machines - if space and budget were no object, I would consider one for my shop.
I too have had a curiosity about them. The first one I ever saw was a LUREM at Dale Woodcrafter's in Dallas back in the 1980's.

It was a table saw, shaper, jointer, thickness planer combo.

They were so proud of their miter gauge and hold down mechanism, they offered a prize to anyone who could move a 6' long 2 x 4 from the 45 degree miter cut, as they moved it through the blade.

I took hold of it, and even though it weighed hundreds of pounds, I wound up moving the entire machine a inch on the floor, but the miter cut was spot on 45 degrees.

It didn't catch on due to price and folks had dedicated machines already in their production shops. Price took it out of all the home shop market. I think he said he eventually sent it back to France if I recall correctly.

It was impressive though. The European market did embrace these sorts of machines, and still do.

Everett
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

ecom1 wrote:if space and budget were no object

And money... :eek: :eek: :eek:

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill