Speed dial vibrates itself faster

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

anjacob
Bronze Member

Speed dial vibrates itself faster

Post by anjacob »

I have Mark V greenie, and just recently when I am near the saw/joint setting, the vibrations cause itself to keep increasing the speeds. I've tried to look around, but haven't found a good lead on what to look for. This has just happened recently, and it has been "tight" before this.

Thanks!
Andrew
ecom1
Gold Member

Re: Speed dial vibrates itself faster

Post by ecom1 »

Look up "Jacob Anderson Shopsmith" on Youtube - he has a few videos on speed control that might help you work through the issue. Here a link to one of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4oaJCKKT3E
Ed

Shopsmith: 2 Mark V 510 (1988,1993), bandsaw, jointer, mounted planer, belt sander, scroll saw, strip sander, lathe duplicator, conical disc sander, biscuit joiner, free standing router table with Jointech IPM-1
Other stuff: Bosch glide mitre, Ridgid 13" planer, Rikon drill press, routers, drills, and other toys
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Check the motor belt. If less than 1/2" wide it will tend to do that.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
anjacob
Bronze Member

Post by anjacob »

Perfect - thanks you two. I have to replace the toggle switch so I'll take it apart and check it all.
Hippie
Silver Member

Post by Hippie »

As I was doing maintenance on the inside of my cardstock yesterday, I. Realized I had the wrong spring in mind. I have just lived with the vibration but you got me thinking. I took about 1" of rubber black oil tubing, cut a V notch in both ends and arched it in the place where the little vibration spring fits. The outer ring now rides on that rubber tubing to dampen the vibration. This won't last forever and I'll have to change it next maintenance but it's cheap and won't hurt anytging if it falls down tuner the motor.