Wolverine Sharpening Question

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Wolverine Sharpening Question

Post by reible »

I'm just putting the finishing touch on my design for using my Wolverine Sharpening System and noticed that they have what they call a Mini Platform for it.

The intent when I order this system was to do fingernail grinds and other lathe tools. I was thinking that I would maintain my other grinder setup for things like bench chisels but since space is always an issue I'm now thinking that perhaps I could do everything with the wolverine. (I will retain my sharpening system for the strip sander which will continue to be the primary tool.)

See it here:

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/93 ... rm=104-327

So looking the wolverine with the standard platform at 3" x 5" I think I can see the advantage of occasionally having the mini that is 3-1/4" x 2-1/4". The investment for the platform head only is $17 but since I have yet to learn the ropes with the system I'm wondering if:

1) That would be a good investment
2) How do you find the system for general "other" tool grinding operations
3) Should I be getting other add-ons too?
4) I have CBN wheel for one side suggestions for the other side?

This will be one of my first spring projects as soon as the weather warms up enough to work outside the garage. It will be nice to go from planning a bunch of things to actually doing them.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Re: Wolverine Sharpening Question

Post by reible »

I should have mentioned that I did get the vari-grind jig for the side grind operations.

I've not used one of these gouges yet nor have I tried to grind the fingernail so I'm looking forward to see how this all works. The bare tool is coming tomorrow and I will need to make a handle for it so that is another reason to want to get this whole thing setup and ready.

Ed
ecom1
Gold Member

Post by ecom1 »

I would consider myself far from being an expert turner or sharpener, but so far I have been able to get by using just the base jig plus Varigrind attachment. There is a skew jig available, but so far I've been able to use the regular table with a little care. All my bench chisels and plane blades were flat honed and maintained on stones prior to purchasing the Wolverine - I don't think it would be difficult to use the system to sharpen those as well, but I didn't see any sense in spending time to change setup to hollow grind (but if I let them get too dull, maybe I'll try).
Ed

Shopsmith: 2 Mark V 510 (1988,1993), bandsaw, jointer, mounted planer, belt sander, scroll saw, strip sander, lathe duplicator, conical disc sander, biscuit joiner, free standing router table with Jointech IPM-1
Other stuff: Bosch glide mitre, Ridgid 13" planer, Rikon drill press, routers, drills, and other toys
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

Post by RobertTaylor »

The mini platform is nice however you can use a block of wood with a couple rare earth magnets on the original platform to do the same thing. That would be smaller "pen" chisels or very worn/short chisels.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I have the Rikon grinder with the white wheels. I would be very hesitant to grind softer steel like lawn mower blades or aluminum on the white wheels. I use the white wheels for high speed steel only. I dont like to load up the aluminum oxide wheels with debris. Also try to keep the wheels a constant diameter when you dress them so that the bevel on the tool has a constant radius. Helps when switching from coarse to fine wheels.
Bill V
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I picked up a CBN wheel last year, they are for only high speed steel so that will be dedicated for such operations. One of the nice thing is that they don't change diameter..... The bad part is the cost.

I'm setting up my 8" variable speed grinder with the wolverine system and need to decide on a second wheel. The question is can I get away with just this grinder or will I need to maintain my other general purpose 6" grinder. The shame of it is that I just redid my set up and moved the veritas stuff to the 8" side and will now have to move it back to the 6" side if I want that function.

Most of my sharpening happens is done with the Chisel Sharpening Attachment for Strip Sander

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... ingatt.htm

I like that because it gives me flat grinds and lets me pick what grit to start and finish with. Touch ups are great so long as you can have it mounted on a second shopsmith, trying to mix turning and sharpening has not worked well for me.

I use the veritas tool rest system for things like plane irons but most of the time I hand do those and bench chisels as honing is all that is required.

Mower blades I like to use a hand grinder on but there are other projects that you really need a general purpose bench grinder for.

I think I'm talking myself into keeping two set ups.....

Ed
wa2crk wrote:I have the Rikon grinder with the white wheels. I would be very hesitant to grind softer steel like lawn mower blades or aluminum on the white wheels. I use the white wheels for high speed steel only. I dont like to load up the aluminum oxide wheels with debris. Also try to keep the wheels a constant diameter when you dress them so that the bevel on the tool has a constant radius. Helps when switching from coarse to fine wheels.
Bill V
ecom1
Gold Member

Post by ecom1 »

reible wrote:
I think I'm talking myself into keeping two set ups.....
I think you are too :)
Ed

Shopsmith: 2 Mark V 510 (1988,1993), bandsaw, jointer, mounted planer, belt sander, scroll saw, strip sander, lathe duplicator, conical disc sander, biscuit joiner, free standing router table with Jointech IPM-1
Other stuff: Bosch glide mitre, Ridgid 13" planer, Rikon drill press, routers, drills, and other toys
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

My order came in a day early!

Just for reference here is a picture of the two platforms side by side. The size is quite different when you look/feel them. Might have been a waste of money or it could be the best thing I ever did, time will tell.
20170323_145936_resized.jpg
20170323_145936_resized.jpg (292.5 KiB) Viewed 11489 times
Ed
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Ed, check out a Roborest on the link below. If you want to sharpen freehand, it's the best thing since sliced bread for setting repeatable angles. This is all I use for scrapers. I use the original Varigrind for bowl gouges and the like.
Have fun with that CBN wheel. I have two and love them!
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

ChrisNeilan wrote:Ed, check out a Roborest on the link below. If you want to sharpen freehand, it's the best thing since sliced bread for setting repeatable angles. This is all I use for scrapers. I use the original Varigrind for bowl gouges and the like.
Have fun with that CBN wheel. I have two and love them!
Interesting! I put it on the list for next year already. Thanks!

Ed