Headlight issues with these new plastic lens

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Re: Headlight issues with these new plastic lens

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I wet sand mine with micro mesh pads. Good as new!
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
ecom1
Gold Member

Post by ecom1 »

Part of the problem is that wet sanding and polishing removes the UV coating on the lens, so it won’t last. The only product I know of that has a replacement for the UV is a headlamp repair kit from Novus. Its not the 1-2-3 kit - its a kit specifically for headlamps.
Ed

Shopsmith: 2 Mark V 510 (1988,1993), bandsaw, jointer, mounted planer, belt sander, scroll saw, strip sander, lathe duplicator, conical disc sander, biscuit joiner, free standing router table with Jointech IPM-1
Other stuff: Bosch glide mitre, Ridgid 13" planer, Rikon drill press, routers, drills, and other toys
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

ecom1 wrote:Part of the problem is that wet sanding and polishing removes the UV coating on the lens, so it won’t last. The only product I know of that has a replacement for the UV is a headlamp repair kit from Novus. Its not the 1-2-3 kit - its a kit specifically for headlamps.
All of the products I looked at have a process to provide the coating. The last one I used was a spray, this one a soaked pad. Yes make sure they are for headlights and follow the instructions given. I would not attempt to use other products not designed for headlamps.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Not to rob this thread, but I just saw an interesting post on plastic-polishing, also related to Lathes... Enjoy...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BryPG7gAsUg/

Chris