Speed Control and Frightening Noises

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rgustav
Bronze Member

Post by rgustav »

a1gutterman wrote: Glad that you joined us. What part of the world are you from?
Thanks for the welcome. I hail from the Land of 10,000 Lakes. Balmy 3 degrees right now. :cool:
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

rgustav wrote:Thanks for the welcome. I hail from the Land of 10,000 Lakes. Balmy 3 degrees right now. :cool:
ImageThank you for updating your profile. I have never lived in MN, but I have visited there several times]http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/images ... turtle.gif[/IMG]
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
JPG
Platinum Member

Sheaves = Control / Drive

Post by JPG »

If you look back at Nick's post you will notice the words "DRIVE SHEAVES" when referring to 1/16 ...1/8 inch dimension below outer rim of sheaves depicted in picture....You can notice the end of motor housing!! Compare this pix to that of "CONTROL SHEAVES" in previous pix.

The UPPER sheaves are the CONTROL sheaves and the LOWER sheaves mounted on MOTOR shaft are the DRIVE sheaves. Adding to this confusion, is the fact that the CONTROL sheaves are mounted on the INTERMEDIATE shaft......the QUILL is attached/connected to the OUTPUT/UPPER shaft.

By the way, the "SHEAVES" is plural since each "variable pulley" consists TWO sheaves (two sides) one of which is movable to allow belt to ride at different distance from the center thus altering speed.

The CONTROL sheave when moved forces the belt position on DRIVE sheave to move in the opposite (in/out) direction.

Therefore when instructed to set speed at high setting so that belt is 1/16" to 1/8" inside DRIVE sheave outer edge, this establishes the Maximum distance for belt at subsequently set "high speed stop" and "fast" dial setting.

With this upper limit set, any adjustment of speed dial will force belt to move from near center towards the outer rim of the CONTROL sheaves....The DRIVE sheaves will (it is spring loaded) expand (since CONTROL sheaves are pulling on belt) thus allowing belt to move closer to the center (away from the rim). This reduces the DRIVE pulley effective diameter thus LOWERING the rotational speed of the UPPER/INTERMEDIATE shaft which in turn lowers OUTPUT shaft RPMs.

I hope this is HELPFUL and not more confusion.

By the way the power station/crafters station speed adjustment is similar but DIFFERENT!!!! The MOTOR pulley and output pulley are FIXED diameter and the CONTROL pulley has three (3) flanges!!

The center flange of the control pulley is free to move between the outer flanges.

The belt from the motor is threaded between one of the outer flanges and the center/movable flange. A second belt is threaded between the other side of the center/movable flange and the other outer flange.

At low speed (1) the DRIVE belt is near the outer edge of its flanges on the control pulley. This forces the other belt to ride near the center (away from it's outer rim).

When the control lever is moved towards higher speed position(s) it pulls the DRIVE belt towards the pulley center. The floating/center sheave then forces the OUTPUT belt away from the center. This changes the pulley ratio thus increasing output shaft RPMs.

A little more complicated to understand, but much easier to manufacture. The shaft upon which the variable sheaves rotate is moved up(away from motor/toward output shaft) when the control lever is moved towards "9". At "9" the motor belt is at a small radius and the drive belt is at a large radius.
At "1" the motor is at a large radius and the drive(output) belt is at a small radius.

As a relevant point, the power station does NOT automatically compensate for belt wear as the mark 5/V does.. There is NO spring loaded sheave. Belt wear/tension must be dealt with externally(motor position).

The relevant parts which move when adjusting speed are: the shaft on which the 3 flange pulley rotates(up/down), and the center flange(outer pulley to other outer pulley). The position of the motor shaft and the output shaft are FIXED(don't move).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mtk1
Bronze Member

Re: Speed Control and Frightening Noises

Post by mtk1 »

I recently purchased a Mark V 510 that made a grinding noise once speed was increased around Route Shape.

Found the top half of the steel slide on the quadrant for the sheave bearing button to ride on missing. This allowed the ribs on the back side of the sheave to contact the quadrant at the hinge area.

Still waiting for SS to deliver the quadrant but I'm sure replacing it will solve my problem..
Attachments
IMG_3030.jpeg
IMG_3030.jpeg (431.82 KiB) Viewed 2774 times
IMG_3031.jpeg
IMG_3031.jpeg (405.74 KiB) Viewed 2774 times
Pully hits quadrant hinge.jpg
Pully hits quadrant hinge.jpg (84.05 KiB) Viewed 2774 times