SS Double Tilt Upgrade

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

SS Double Tilt Upgrade

Post by jsburger »

The double tilt upgrade is on sale for 25% off.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/specials/7DV377
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
algale
Platinum Member

Re: SS Double Tilt Upgrade

Post by algale »

When the double tilt upgrade came out, I wanted one. But I've come to the conclusion I will probably never own a Power Pro headstock. And I can't think of a good reason to get the double tilt if I don't have the Power Pro. Someone convince me otherwise. :)
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

algale wrote:When the double tilt upgrade came out, I wanted one. But I've come to the conclusion I will probably never own a Power Pro headstock. And I can't think of a good reason to get the double tilt if I don't have the Power Pro. Someone convince me otherwise. :)
I think it would only make some sense if one had a modified headstock that was capable of running in reverse(or a Mark VII headstock) on a /Mark 5/V.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

algale wrote:When the double tilt upgrade came out, I wanted one. But I've come to the conclusion I will probably never own a Power Pro headstock. And I can't think of a good reason to get the double tilt if I don't have the Power Pro. Someone convince me otherwise. :)
That will be very hard (if not impossible) for me to do. I have no PowerPro and will almost certainly never have one BUT I have the Double Tilt Upgrade.

For me getting it was for a different purpose. I believed that without it I would never be able to maintain total alignment to the level of accuracy that I wanted.

With that purpose in mind, I consider my purchase of the upgrade a total success. If you are satisfied with your alignments the upgrade would be an unwise investment. I am pleased with mine.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

dusty wrote:
That will be very hard (if not impossible) for me to do. I have no PowerPro and will almost certainly never have one BUT I have the Double Tilt Upgrade.

For me getting it was for a different purpose. I believed that without it I would never be able to maintain total alignment to the level of accuracy that I wanted.

With that purpose in mind, I consider my purchase of the upgrade a total success. If you are satisfied with your alignments the upgrade would be an unwise investment. I am pleased with mine.
I am pretty satisfied with my alignment; I can move my rip fence from the main table to the aux table and keep alignment -- until I switch my aux table from the right side to the left side. I think it was discussed that the double tilt might cure that but that further investigation cast doubt on it.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

StevenAyres
Gold Member

Post by StevenAyres »

algale wrote:Someone convince me otherwise.
Under-table routing or shaping is probably the most likely use.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

algale wrote:
dusty wrote:

I am pretty satisfied with my alignment; I can move my rip fence from the main table to the aux table and keep alignment -- until I switch my aux table from the right side to the left side. I think it was discussed that the double tilt might cure that but that further investigation cast doubt on it.
If others have a problem using both extension tables I will not attempt to dispute that. For those who do - "It is a fact". I do not but then when I installed the Double Tilt I performed a very deliberate alignment to establish what I believed to be requisite to perfect extension table leg alignment. These four vertical posts (the extension table legs) must be perfectly positioned (with respect to one another) if one expects to move the extension tables back and forth from end-to-end.

I began this alignment with the two headrests assembled on a near perfectly level and flat surface (without the table legs). Then (with the Way Tubes installed) they too were verified to be in proper relationship to one an other. This being done all that remains is extension table alignment. For me, this routine has yielded what I wanted.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:
algale wrote:
dusty wrote:

If others have a problem using both extension tables I will not attempt to dispute that. For those who do - "It is a fact". I do not but then when I installed the Double Tilt I performed a very deliberate alignment to establish what I believed to be requisite to perfect extension table leg alignment. These four vertical posts (the extension table legs) must be perfectly positioned (with respect to one another) if one expects to move the extension tables back and forth from end-to-end.

I began this alignment with the two headrests assembled on a near perfectly level and flat surface (without the table legs). Then (with the Way Tubes installed) they too were verified to be in proper relationship to one an other. This being done all that remains is extension table alignment. For me, this routine has yielded what I wanted.
I believe it is also possible to get that with the original, but it is far more difficult. A non-level floor affects it.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote:
dusty wrote:
algale wrote:

I believe it is also possible to get that with the original, but it is far more difficult. A non-level floor affects it.
I probable agree that it can be achieved with a Base and Base Arm Assembly in the setup but I seriously doubt that it can be maintained over multiple setups.

Now, in all honesty, I do not thoroughly exercise mine because I routinely have the Jointer installed on one end of my Shopsmith.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

When I upgraded to a 520 table system I attempted to be able to use the fixed extension table on both sides of the shopsmith. It didn't work. I then did several attempts to tweak things so it would without success. I ended up buying a second fixed table to have one for the left and one for the right. That worked fine but those tables are not cheap. I have to admit that after that I stopped trying to get them to be interchangeable.

Now to qualify it is not just getting the tubes to slide in. It is having the rip fence mounted to a table to the left and achieve alignment and then moving to the right and again achieving alignment without additional tweaking. It is after all the purpose of the alignment, to be able to make accurate and safe cuts.

When I upgraded to the double tilt I was able to for the first time get the switching fixed extension table to be usable on both ends. And more importantly it was not with hours and hours of tweaking. Now I have no idea if it is still in alignment as I have not tested that but I did just a few days ago end up with extension tables on both ends and the tubes slid right in, a good sign that it is at least close.

It is rare that I use the double tilt but it is nice on the occasions that I do. I have a second set to install some day on my other machine but it has not been something that I have rushed to do but some day..... I have two fixed extension tables for that one too so it works that way. But I do want to try it and see if that one two can achieve the interchangeability the same as the first one. Should also mention that I have never had an extension table that work on both 520's. I have used them for support but not for things that require alignment to be accurate.

The other reason for my lack of testing alignment and installing the second kit is that I don't use my shopsmith much for that type cutting anymore. Once I got use to the guided saw system it is just so much easier and better that I just don't go to the shopsmith for that sort of work anymore.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]