I got a new to me mark

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

youngstev
Silver Member

I got a new to me mark

Post by youngstev »

I have no idea what I got into. I typed the serial number in and it’s “not found” ! What is this “fence” thing?
youngstev
Silver Member

Re: I got a new to me mark

Post by youngstev »

IMG_9998.jpeg
IMG_9998.jpeg (418.65 KiB) Viewed 791 times
youngstev wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:14 pm I have no idea what I got into. I typed the serial number in and it’s “not found” ! What is this “fence” thing?
Attachments
IMG_9995.jpeg
IMG_9995.jpeg (536.88 KiB) Viewed 791 times
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

The serial number indicates it was manufactured in 1994, and I believe week 05 but I could be wrong on that last part.

The fence is for the Jointer which is hopefully amongst the goodies you received with your ShopSmith
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I would say the SS9405 indicates an early SS Inc. product made prior to the switch to date 'serial numbering'.

Note the crinkle paint.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
youngstev
Silver Member

Post by youngstev »

I do have the jointer along with a jigsaw, lathe attachments, assorted saws included dado, table and a little table, a couple different chucks, 1 coupler, a little wooden mallet and a long Allen wrench. What does the attachment for the shaper/router look like and what length jigsaw blade does it take?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Jigsaw = 5" (Pinless) IIRC? Pins are easily removed from coping saw blades.

Shaper router cutters are attached to the quill shaft.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

youngstev,

Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum.

Thank you for adding the pictures. They are a great help in describing things. Shopsmith Mark 5 serial number SS 9405 would have likely been made in 1975. There are no records from that time period, so it is an estimate I have made. Hopefully included in the items you received are the Owner's Manuals for the different tools.

You asked,
What does the attachment for the shaper/router look like and what length jigsaw blade does it take?
JPG answered about the Jig Saw Blades. As for the Shaper/Router Attachment if you mean the fence there is a picture of that below. It is the one for the original Table System but also fits on the Model 10E and 10ER shown mounted in the picture.

_
Shaper Fence P-N 11 700 on 10ER.jpg
Shaper Fence P-N 11 700 on 10ER.jpg (108.17 KiB) Viewed 669 times
If you are referring to the Shaper Cutters and Router Bits themselves, they use an arbor/spindle for the Shaper Cutters and a Chuck for the Router Bits.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
youngstev
Silver Member

Post by youngstev »

Thanks for the detailed reply. I did get 2 books with my SS. I think one is a copy of the original. But they seem to only be the self learn books. I haven’t really spent much time looking through it yet.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The Owner's Manual cover for your Mark 5 should look very similar to the 1973 cover shown below.

_
1973 Mark V manual cover.jpg
1973 Mark V manual cover.jpg (129.13 KiB) Viewed 478 times
The Self Study Guide has 10 chapters.

Another common book found with the Shopsmith Tools is titled "Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone" by R. J. DeCristoforo. It goes further in-depth on using the Mark 5/V than the manual but the first edition from 1953 features the Model 10E/ER instead of the Mark 5/V.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
youngstev
Silver Member

Post by youngstev »

Where can I download a pdf of an owners manual for my ss?
Also how can I tell if I have 510 or 520 or whatnot?