Need Help

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

lragan
Bronze Member

Need Help

Post by lragan »

I'm not sure where to go from here, so hopefully someone on this site can help me. My husband recently passed away and on top of this we were about to move into our dream home. He had the Shopsmith Mark V (with vaccum system). Since this is something I do not need, I want to sell it to help with medical bills. I haven't a clue where to start, or how much to ask. Any help is greatly appreciated.
dusty
Platinum Member

Need Help

Post by dusty »

Where you are located has a lot to do with how to market your Shopsmith.

If you could determine when the machine was manufactured (what is the serial number) would also help.

What sort of accessories do you have?

Our prayers are with you!
lragan
Bronze Member

Post by lragan »

Thank you for getting back to me. I am located in Stafford, VA. Halfway between Richmond VA and Washington DC. My husband purchased the system in August 1999 (Mark V Model 510/520 base unit , Mark V 510 table & fence sys, with the 4" Jointer, starter accessory kit, dust collector #330002, power tool woodworking book. He hardly used the system, he had been ill for quite a while. It's been sitting in our basement all this time.

Laurie
Gampa
Gold Member

Post by Gampa »

lragan: I did a couple of searches on eBay to see what current prices on units there had sold for. The Mark V's model 510 were going for $500 - $650, all with local pick up, there were no 520 models that had been sold. Most of the Dust collectors were going for $300. I would recommend selling the dust collector separate from the Mark V just because the dust collector can be used on all woodworking equipment brands not just shopsmith. Living between two high populations areas I would try advertising in both areas What with a new Model 510 selling for $3200 I am certain you could get more for it than what is being sold on eBay for a well maintained machine.

Hope this gives you a starting point.
Enjoy a little sawdust therapy

Walt
520, Joiner, band saw, Planer, Dust Collector, 6: Belt Sander, OPR, Scroll Saw
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

You also see Shopsmith's for sale on CraigsList, the nice thing is is free and you can ask a high price and than lower it if it does not sell. On eBay you are better off selling the thing in as many pieces as possible. I can't explain why but every part I have sold on eBay has sold for more than Shopsmith sells them for new on sale. I only sell parts I don't need anymore due to upgrades.